Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Pumpkin Ale Question

I want to brew a pumpkin in a few weeks. My local grocery store carries cans of organic un spiced pumpkin. How much canned pumpkin should I use for a nice, light pumpkin flavor and aroma? I would hate to use too much pumpkin and overdo it.

I just used 4 cans for a 5 gallon batch. Spread over a baking sheet and baked at 325 for an hour with some brown sugar on it then added to the mash (it was a mess…shoulda used rice hulls). I’ve only tasted it at kegging, but it tasted pretty friggin good! I also added some spices. I don’t believe you get a ton of flavor from just pumpkin.

You won’t get any flavor from the pumpkin. It does make the mash a PITA to sparge. The last few years, I have been cubing up the pumpkin meat, baking for 60m at 300F until it gets carmelly and sweet and putting it in a muslin bag for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

+1 for pumpkin not adding any additional flavor. Just tried my pumpkin brew tonight and honestly I’m not sure if I could tell the difference between a pumpkin spice beer brewed with pumpkin and one without. Might work out if you really roast the heck out of the pumpkin.

Adding pumpkin to a ‘pumpkin beer’ does little more than give you some proteins, haze, (maybe pectins?), a few percentage points of fermentables, and the cache to say “This is brewed with REAL pumpkin”, like Dogfish Head does.

Pumpkin beers are really just spiced brown ales/stouts, and the spice bouquet is similar to what you put in pumpkin pie…but I get the desire to put actual pumpkin in.

Google a clone of Southern Tier’s Pumpking. I think there is one over on HBT, and it is seriously the best pumpkin beer I’ve ever had. Graham cracker extract is the key.

[quote=“Pietro”]Adding pumpkin to a ‘pumpkin beer’ does little more than give you some proteins, haze, (maybe pectins?), a few percentage points of fermentables, and the cache to say “This is brewed with REAL pumpkin”, like Dogfish Head does.

Pumpkin beers are really just spiced brown ales/stouts, and the spice bouquet is similar to what you put in pumpkin pie…but I get the desire to put actual pumpkin in.

Google a clone of Southern Tier’s Pumpking. I think there is one over on HBT, and it is seriously the best pumpkin beer I’ve ever had. Graham cracker extract is the key.[/quote]

Where do you get Graham cracker extract?

[quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“Pietro”]Adding pumpkin to a ‘pumpkin beer’ does little more than give you some proteins, haze, (maybe pectins?), a few percentage points of fermentables, and the cache to say “This is brewed with REAL pumpkin”, like Dogfish Head does.

Google a clone of Southern Tier’s Pumpking. I think there is one over on HBT, and it is seriously the best pumpkin beer I’ve ever had. Graham cracker extract is the key.[/quote]

Where do you get Graham cracker extract?[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=graham+cracker+extract

:smiley:

What I meant was, where did you get yours. Not all extracts are equal, and sellers of extract definitely aren’t. I did already know how to use Google, thanks.

I didn’t realize that’s what you meant. If you had asked ‘where do you get YOUR extract’ that might have been clearer. Annnywho, to the OP, try it in your pumpkin.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com