Primary to Secondary

Hi All,
I recently brewed an Extract Kit Irish Red Ale. I transferred from my Primary (bucket) to Secondary (plastic carboy). I as much of the sludge as I could in the primary, and again when I transferred to my bottling bucket. Beer looks clear w/ very little sediment in the bottles. After opening a few test bottles over the past week there seems to be little to no carbonation. My question is this, have I lost all of my yeast in the transferring process? Should some of the sludge made it further down the line?

I’m new to brewing too and just had the same problem as you. Mine took 4 weeks to bottle carb. Honestly, you just have to wait. If you put your test bottles out in a warmer place, they will carb faster. I learned to bottle one of the beers in a plastic bottle and squeeze the air out and then cap. When that bottle firms up, you know your about fully carbed. good luck!

–" I learned to bottle one of the beers in a plastic bottle and squeeze the air out and then cap. When that bottle firms up, you know your about fully carbed."–
Very clever. I shall do this. Thanks!

Did you prime the batch before bottling? That is, did you mix up some sugar and add it to the bottleing buck (or bottles) prior to bottling? If not, then there’s not much sugar for the yeast to consume in order to carbonate.

It will still carbonate, but take significantly longer.

There is plenty of yeast left, as someone stated moved them to a warmer area, they should be at least 70-75 degrees to carb in a week. Also, gently shake or invert the bottles 2x a day to get the yeast and sugar off the bottom of the bottle.

Awesome, Thanks for the advice guys. I did prime the whole batch before bottling. I took them out of my “fermenting office” (closet) this afternoon to get the temp up a little. Wait and see.

Now is the time to get that next batch going. Keep that pipeline filled and you will reward yourself with great beer that has had a chance to condition properly.

Actually. I have a NB Lakefront Fixed Gear American Red Ale that is about to go into the secondary this weekend. Two beers in and I’m in love with this.