Primary only! You guys were correct

First time using the primary only. After two additional weeks my Dark Cherry Stout came out perfectly clear. Needed more cherry extract I felt. Thanks guys. So I wonder, why even use a secondary fermenter.

Since I DH in primary, and have plenty of rinsed yeast on hand, I only secondary beers that I want to bulk age for an extended period of time.

^this. If your beer is going to be resting on the yeast for an extended period of time you’ll want to rack it into the secondary to avoid autolysis. For others it’s an excuse to do something besides stare nervously at their beer… although, ironically, it increases the reasons that they should be staring nervously at their beers.

I only have a 6 and a 5 gallon carboy, the sooner i can get the 6 gallon empty the sooner I can start another batch.

[quote=“RobnCO”]I only have a 6 and a 5 gallon carboy, the sooner i can get the 6 gallon empty the sooner I can start another batch.[/quote]Buy another fermenter instead of hurrying the beer.

What he said!
Hit up your Craigslist daily!..I just scored another 6.5 gallon carboy, carboy carrier, 2 NICE ball lock corny’s, and a nice hydrometer on there today…80 bucks, which I thought was good!

I don't move it any faster than I should, I was just saying that's why I move it to a secondary instead of adding an additional week to the primary and skipping secondary all together. I will however definitely check out craigslist. My wife already has her eye on my only 2 carboys, apparently they are becoming trendy decorations if you stuff them full of lights and flowers!
I don't move it any faster than I should, I was just saying that's why I move it to a secondary instead of adding an additional week to the primary and skipping secondary all together. I will however definitely check out craigslist. My wife already has her eye on my only 2 carboys, apparently they are becoming trendy decorations if you stuff them full of lights and flowers![/quote]

You have to leave her, sorry. :wink:

^shmbo is not allowed to use brew equipment unless it is for making brew. Section C paragraph 2 under “Rewards for Proper Obedience”

Fermcap is your friend. My 6.5 is busy with some Hefe and I couldn’t wait to brew another, so I used my 5 gallon carboy with some Fermcap. Had to add a couple more drops after 24-48 hours, but otherwise worked perfectly.