Primary Fermentation Temperature

Hey there.  I’m brewing my first beer, and I’m in the middle of primary fermentation.  Specs:
    Chinook IPA
    US-05 yeast
    https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/chinook-ipa-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains?variant=8504198627372&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIydav8snO7QIV0geICR3u2wwxEAQYASABEgJ0gvD_BwE

I was told to allow 1-2 weeks for primary fermentation, but I just checked after 8 days and it looks like the krausen has settled down into the beer.  I’m also not seeing (or hearing) bubbling in the fermentation lock anymore.  I kept it in a dark, relatively quiet place per the instructions, but…I apparently misread the instructions and kept it in a cool place and not a warm place.  Did I screw up the fermentation process?  How severely?  If so, is there any way to recover from this?  I’ve relocated the container to a warmer spot and plan to allow fermentation to continue the remaining 6 days just in case.  I have the ability (and the instructions tell me) to put the beer in secondary fermentation, but I’m not sure how that affects primary fermentation timeline.
1 Like

After 8 days take several gravity readings Over several day Gravity the same Your brew done. You can do the next step Secondary dryhop Or let it condition Longer Than. Bottle. Or keg. Temp wise. Depends. On the yeast you do use. With kviek. I dont worry. With. Us4. Yeast. I do temp control The first 8 days With a swamp cooler. Ice bottles Twice a day. Simple system. But it works. Mayby one day i do get a glysol cooler system.

1 Like

Welcome to home brewing! Secondary is not necessary, but can be a good practice exercise for your first brew. Some transfer to secondary, some don’t…
How cool was cool? You actually did it right for that yeast probably. Cool first then warm. Agree with letting it sit for awhile longer.