Preventing/ correcting coconut flavor from fading

I have used 10 ounces of coconut per gallon of porter beer. I bitter the porter more as if it was an imperial stout. I let it soak two weeks then cold crash and pressure carbonate (really nitro). Its soooooo smooth and its not just the nitro. I want to enter it in a competition. Unfortunately, the coconut flavor fades in two weeks which is time it takes to carbonate in bottle. I have tried toasting the coconut, toasting some, adding coconut puree when bottling and nothing seems to help…it fades. Ideas???

Add extract? Maybe bottle it but that would not work with nitro. You could open the keg and add more. Or like a NEIPA drink it fast

1 Like

Dry… coconutting it? Perhaps the CO2 overwhelms the coconut… so the extreme low side of carbonation? Just throwing ideas out there…
Sneezles61

yes over nitroing to make an extreme presentation of bubbles strips out the coconut flavor so yes thats a good point sneezles. When I backed off on the bubbles, the coconut flavor was there.

In bottling for competition I will try several levels of reduced sugar addition to bottles to see if I can find a sweet spot (I mostly keg and just add sugar directly to bottles) ie flavor retention vs carbonation.

And brewcat I will also try extract dropwise to bottles prior to bottling to see if that helps retain the flavor.
Thanks guys

1 Like