Preventing cider from turning into vinegar

So from what I remember (and it’s been like 13 years since I last did this) any alcohol can turn to vinegar if they’re infected by acetobacter. And that happens due to lax sanitation. So… does the amount of air in my fermentation bucket have anything to do with it? And as far as sanitation is concerned, I’m planning on doing my secondary ferment in a glass apple cider jug because I don’t think I can clean my carboy out effectively; I used One Step Cleaner and long brushes, and my last batch still turned. Any suggestions on cleaning that carboy?

Did you sanitize after the One Step? Why do you think a jug would be easier to clean than a carboy?

If you are using natural fermentation with the yeasts and microbes on the apples then you will be at the will of nature. Once your product is fermented drink it. Certainly you can store some away for a later date but don’t expect it to get better with age by default. I have lots of old brews stored away and some that I’m aging for 2+ years. I’ve never had an issue but I did follow careful sanitation practices.

Star San is a sanitizer… One step claims to be… but I won’t take that chance… Do more reading to see what you should use.
Sneezles61

Once it’s bottled you shouldn’t get vinegar the acetobacter need O2 I believe another reason not to aerate. You could get other infections though which may be fine if you don’t mind tartness. But yes drink it in a timely manor

1 Like

I’ve always been told to treat cleaning and sanitizing as two distinct processes and steps. Cleaning removes residues, but does not necessarily kill spoilage microbes (thus the sanitizing step). I use One-Step for cleaning, then follow with potassium metabisulfite solution for sanitizing (for wine making).

2 Likes