Pretty cool in theory conical fermenter

http://www.onederbrew.com/HomeBrewShop.html http://www.ebay.com/itm/150926559317 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6kI4HNYOfQ

He really needs to change the bucket to a larger volume. But looks like you could always use it when a larger bucket.

And I don’t get the serving from it. But for fermentation looks pretty neat.

Brewdemon, the ‘new’ company that started after Mr. Beer was acquired from Coopers, is working on a much simpler version of one.

https://twitter.com/brewdemon/status/25 ... 92/photo/1

Both look neat.

With the first one, I’m assuming you hook C02 to it?

[quote=“thegame310”]Both look neat.

With the first one, I’m assuming you hook C02 to it?[/quote]

yes you can. on their website are more videos.

on the other one, doesn’t look like there is a yeast dump point? Am I just missing that? Isn’t that the whole point of a conical?

[quote=“Beerlord”]Brewdemon, the ‘new’ company that started after Mr. Beer was acquired from Coopers, is working on a much simpler version of one.

https://twitter.com/brewdemon/status/25 ... 92/photo/1[/quote]

second question, what size is that?

Well, just based on the Mr. Beer little keg that is only $10 and the fact that this ‘new’ company is competing with them, I can’t believe Brewdemon’s little fermenter is anything fancy at all. No yeast dump, just goes right to the bottle.
Honestly, I’ve played around with the Mr. Beer keg and still use it for some 2-2.5 gallon test batches. It fits perfectly well in my dorm fridge so that I can lager. Their basic kits…stay away unless you add your own hops and extra malt.
I’ve seen the video’s of the black one on youtube but read somewhere that they were having problems and working them out. Not sure what they were.

What’s the advantage of a smaller conical fermenter like this over a bucket or carboy? Is it just that having a valve at the bottom makes it easier to collect yeast?

You can collect the yeast easier. You can also dump the yeast, and not have to transfer to secondary. You can condition and ferment in the same container without leaving it on the yeast for an extended period of time.

With the link of the one I posted, the vessle is pressurized, and stays under pressure.

A final advantage is that with some conicals, you can do pressure transfers. When it comes time to rack the beer to keg, you can apply a little CO2 pressure to the airlock vent and push the beer out the transfer port, through some Tygon tubing to your keg — and not expose the beer to oxygen to boot.

Looks like this in their Gen 2 effort. Here is a discussion on Gen 1:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79687&hilit=onederbrew#p744756

I’ve seen some of the $1600 fancy smancy conical fermenters come with cooling and heating so you can even lager in them.
Too much for my blood. Though, if I ever won the lottery, I’d go for it.

(note to self, to win the lottery, you must first buy tickets)

[quote=“Beerlord”]I’ve seen some of the $1600 fancy smancy conical fermenters come with cooling and heating so you can even lager in them.

(note to self, to win the lottery, you must first buy tickets)[/quote]

I actually got one and LOVE it. I set it at what ever temp I want and don’t need to worry about adding ice, adding too much ice, etc. Sure it was a little expensive, but temp control on fermentation was the BIGGEST improvement I made. I can also crash cool with it. Plus, I went up to 10 gals and got tired of splitting batches and starters.

… I just use bottling buckets for fermenters. Easy to clean, easy to move, set them in temp. controlled freezer for temp. control. After transfer of beer to bottling bucket or keg, just swirl up what is in the bottom and transfer yeast to mason jars. No siphon, just gravity and tubing… oh yeah, $15 a piece.

My old chest freezer became my keg fridge when they aren’t ready for the kegerator. I’ve tried to build a walk-in fridge, but the SWMBO won’t let me… She already calls the house HH Gregg.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with a bucket and chest freezer I just got tired of having no space in freezer, having to split wort, having to split starters, having to clean 2 fermenters, running out of fermenters. Then, having to schedule everything exactly if I wanted to do a lager.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”][quote=“Beerlord”]I’ve seen some of the $1600 fancy smancy conical fermenters come with cooling and heating so you can even lager in them.

I actually got one and LOVE it. I set it at what ever temp I want and don’t need to worry about adding ice, adding too much ice, etc. Sure it was a little expensive, but temp control on fermentation was the BIGGEST improvement I made. I can also crash cool with it. Plus, I went up to 10 gals and got tired of splitting batches and starters.[/quote]
I have a 14 gallon heated/cooled as well. it took some saving, but well worth it!

[quote=“Edward Teach”][quote=“Loopie Beer”][quote=“Beerlord”]I’ve seen some of the $1600 fancy smancy conical fermenters come with cooling and heating so you can even lager in them.

I actually got one and LOVE it. I set it at what ever temp I want and don’t need to worry about adding ice, adding too much ice, etc. Sure it was a little expensive, but temp control on fermentation was the BIGGEST improvement I made. I can also crash cool with it. Plus, I went up to 10 gals and got tired of splitting batches and starters.[/quote]
I have a 14 gallon heated/cooled as well. it took some saving, but well worth it![/quote]

Any pictures or links? I’d like to see this thing. I would love to get one, but there’s the whole cash problem, with the lack of it and all, haha.

[quote=“gauzzastrip”]

Any pictures or links? I’d like to see this thing. I would love to get one, but there’s the whole cash problem, with the lack of it and all, haha.[/quote]
this is the one I got from a competitor.

Andrew, you have impeccable taste! :wink:

Just filled mine today with an APA… got it set at 66* and know I won’t have to worry about it!