Pre pro lager

@brew_cat so cool. That is 4 miles from home. Thanks for the post

I didnā€™t see anyone with the last nameā€¦ Cat ā€¦:smirk: Sneezles61

Someone gave me a heritage kit never sent it in. Maybe I should. Would be cool if I could trace my heritage to some famous brewers

1 Like

Inspire you to go Pro? Perhaps? Sneezles61

I think Iā€™ll stay pre pro for now. Iā€™d be like the soup guy on Seinfeld." No beer for you"

After reading the Piels recipe I think I may have messed up. When I made my pre pro Vienna I didnā€™t do the protein rest with the flaked corn I added it at the main mash.

More history of the Bushwick pre pro lagers.

Never had Trommers but apparently it was the only pre prohibition Pilsner brewed in the US without the use of adjuncts at the time and was a spaten clone of sorts. Gonna brew these and try to recapture that taste I remember. You young whippersnappers probably wonā€™t appreciate them but itā€™s the stuff I was weaned on.

2 Likes

That was an interesting readā€¦ I remember Shaefersā€¦ I donā€™t recall the others over hereā€¦ Sneezles61

Great stuff @brew_cat!

I was planning a light american pils next and had the pre-pro lager on deck. May just brew a Bushwick pils instead!

Should be interesting. Iā€™ve never used 6 row and donā€™t have any but seems worth a trip to the LHBS.

I remember Shaefferā€™s, Pielā€™s rings a bell for me as does Trommer and definitely remember Rheingold.

My father had a friend that worked at the Rheingold Brewery and used to bring over the dented cans. Back in those days they mostly bought the beer in quart bottles and drank from a glass. I remember being at my fatherā€™s knees and he would only let me drink the foam. There was a special bitterness and aroma Iā€™ve been trying to capture in my brewing. Iā€™ve come close with Pilsner but this pre pro stuff may be the ticket

Iā€™ve never used 6 row so I have no idea what it does the flavor. it does sound like those Bushwick breweries bittered harder than other pilsner brewers then and nowā€¦

I know it has alot of protein so need a protein rest when mashing. I have one almost ready for keg maybe tomorrow got to look at the calendar.

1 Like

Yea Iā€™ll follow a similar mash schedule to the recipe you posted.

Was hoping to brew a bushwick pils tomorrow but my LHBS doesnā€™t carry 6 row! He said they seldom have anyone ask for it and he canā€™t even get it from JD Carlson anymoreā€¦

Just ordered some from NB then as I wrote this I realized I didnā€™t know if I had the option to choose unmilled but when I looked at my receipt realized thatā€™s the first option so I lucked out! hahaā€¦havenā€™t ordered grain online in a long time so I forget the little detailsā€¦

2 Likes

My homebrew shops have it. If this goes well I may buy a sack. I think I paid $20 for 10# it would be $55 for 50#. I could toss some into my pales in place of wheat maybe for the protein

1 Like

We drank a lot of ā€œLe Schaeferā€ while at Ohio University. My roommate was so enamored of the stuff that he went to Halloween in Athens( a big deal at the time) as ā€œThe Schaefer Gladiatorā€, pictured. It went for something like $1.20 a six pack at one market.

Thatā€™s me enjoying a cheap buzz at bottom right. Mid 80ā€™s.

3 Likes

The crazy stuff some beer would get you to do, eh? :sunglasses: Sneezles61

2 Likes

Didnā€™t drink any of the original Bushwick Schaeffer but no offense to your roommate but he was drinking piss I think they brewed it in Ohio by then

Literally whatever we could afford. Milwaukeeā€™s Best, Old Milwaukee, Keystone, Busch, Iron City, even Natural Light(hated that ), but most often Schaeferā€¦
Iā€™m pretty sure that by then Schaefer had sold to Strohā€™s. (Detroit, Michigan and later Allentown Pa.)

Drank cheap stuff in college. The $1.99 Old Milwaukee cardboard 12s were great for building shelves.