Pre pro lager

Driving past the home brew shop so stopped and grabbed 10 lbs of 6row and cluster hops going to brew the pre pro for no other reason than to cross it off the list. Anyone have tips ? Going to do a protein rest for the 6row. Then warm it up for the mash. Pretty straight forward with Biab. Was thinking to add a little Vienna but don’t think I should rest that. What do you all think?

Not sure if you’ve ever read this article but pretty interesting and informative.

3 Likes

A protein rest is just fine and traditional. I did a simple single infusion, but a protein rest is easy enough. What type of corn, and how much?

Going with flakes about 1 1/2lb

2 Likes

Interesting article. Sneezles61

2 Likes

Sounds like you got the right idea all around. I will have to add this style to my “to brew” list.

I’ve had this in the queue for a while and keep pushing it back. Good article on the style and options for mashing it.

1 Like

Maybe this would be a good one to brew as the last one in my lager series… I could tweak it through out the summer with Ale yeast… Perhaps then next lager season, it would be pretty well rounded out… Sneezles61

If you make it with ale yeast it will be a cream ale I believe. A hoppy cream ale

2 Likes

Here is what I have so far. Any tweaks?
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/print/783336

1 Like

Your grain bill looks good… Hops too… I’d like the read your tasting notes… Are going to adjust your water a little pre mash? Sneezles61

Should make a nice beer!

May adjust the pH but I have been lowering it lately but I’m not noticing a difference except maybe in the Pilsner

By targeting 5.3 mash pH, I think it has helped some, but not a huge difference. Maybe a bit more lively, less muddied flavor.

1 Like

I’m with you VooDoo… My taste “buds” are liking the cleaner malt flavor… I would even venture to say, I would extract some flavors that actually were astringent/raspy on the tongue without a pH correction… But back then I was using 6 row as my base malt… Sneezles61

2 Likes

Looks good @brew_cat!

I’ve been adjusting mash pH to 5.4 then kettle to 5.2 on all my lagers. I like how it’s working out.

Adjusted the above recipe added more FWH (30%)and eliminated the 60 min addition. And adjusted for pH

1 Like

Brewed this today. A little sticky getting 3boxes of corn flakes stirred in. Tried to get the main mash from the 120 protein to 154 but only hit about 152 before running out of hot water. I noticed the 6 row mash water looked alot more murky than standard 2 row. The OG ended about 6 points higher than expected . I figured that may be the sugar in corn flakes.

1 Like

Really excited to find this 1950s Piels recipe. This was my grandfathers beer before Pabst bought it and ruined it
values.
** Not available; assume various Cluster strains of the time.
Back to article

Bushwick Pilsner (makes 5 gal)
8 lb six-row malt
1 lb flaked maize
1/2 lb Munich malt
1/4 oz Cluster hops, boil 60 min
1/4 oz Cluster hops, boil 45 min
1 oz Stryian Goldings, Saaz, or Halletauer hops, boil 45 min
1 tsp Irish moss, for the last 10 min of the boil
To produce Trommer’s pilsner, substitute 1 lb of malt for the pound of flaked maize. All water in the brewing process is soft.

A protein rest is necessary during the mash. Dough in malt with maize at 120 °F (49 °C) for 1/2 h. The rest provides the clarity, body, lack of chill haze, and resistance to oxidation (8) that is extremely important in light-colored beers.

Saccharification of the mash will occur when the mash is held at 155 °F (68 °C) for 45 min. This temperature is chosen for the building of dextrins, which gives the final product the desired body and mouthfeel to accompany the hops. Mashout at 168 °F (76 °C) and sparge with 168 °F water.

Boil the hops as noted in the recipe. Remove the hops from the wort, and chill the wort to 62 °F (17 °C). At a final volume of 5 gal, the original gravity should be between 1.045 and 1.050.

Yeast selection for the home brewer may be limited, unless one can obtain the Wallerstein or Christian Schmidt strain. I suggest using Wyeast New Ulm or Wyeast Munich. Ferment and lager according to traditional methods.

Fining or filtering the beer before bottling is essential for removal of proteins and achieving good clarity after secondary fermentation. If you decide to use finings, isinglass or Polyclar are excellent choices. Gelatin may also be used. If you decide to filter, I recommend a 0.4-µm filter from the output of a Cornelius keg.

Back to article

2 Likes

Some history @squeegeethree may be interested

Not just your run of the mill brewer it seems.

1 Like