Porter with Wyeast 1084

I started a Porter with 9.5 lbs of Mallard Malt dark, Cascade hops boil and fuggle in finish, using Irish ale stout Wyeast 1084. on 12/6/2014 I pitched the yeast with a SG of 1.068, 4 days later the SG was 1.050 very slow fermentation. So I kicked up the heat in the house, stirred the fermentables and waited for better progress. 12/12/2014 I added Ghostex ( a yeast booster) hoping it would help. I have read on other forums that the 1084 is a tough yeast to get going. Are there any thoughts, ideas or experience with this Irish Stout Ale yeast? :cheers:

I mentioned not too long ago in another thread that the only two times I have had a stuck fermentation, or a very poor attenuation, have been with WY1084. But both those times it still got down to the 1.025 range (starting gavity ~1.050). Anyway, I have decided to stop using it. And for me personally, I don’t really find that I am missing out on anything from a flavor profile standpoint from switching to any standard British style yeast for stouts/porters. Even made a really good one with 1056 too.

The last time I used WY1084, two months ago for two dry Irish stouts, I had to install blow off tubes for the first time. First stout was with a smack pack and starter, second was pitching harvested WY1084 from the first brew. In previous years, even with less than very vigorous fermentations, the stouts finished at 1.010 or 1.011.
I use the Brewers Friend pitch rate and starter calculator.

I’ve used 1084 3 times in the past 3 years on Irish Reds, Porters, and Stouts, total of 5 batches. Have not experienced any problems with it, but then I did a starter, add WY yeast nutrient and oxygenate with each batch. I will most likely use it again, although this thread gives me food for thought.

What room temperature do you guys ferment at. The 1084 has a range of 62-75F, I started at 65F and is started then stopped so at the moment I am at 68 degrees F. I have used 1056 for my IPAs and it is crazy active yeast. It sounds like I need to be patient and give it some time. What would be an alternative to the 1084 when making Porters?

I fermented the dry stouts at 63°F for the first four days, then let the temperature rise. Maximum temperature is 66°F.

I’ve used 1084 in stouts, porters and irish reds. I’m drinking one of the irish reds right now. Took it from 1.064 to 1.012.

I chill all my ales down to 62-63 and ferment there for 3-4 days before letting it rise to room temp of 68-70.

I’ve pitched the smack pack direct, made starters and used slurry with and without a starter.

I’ve always had good results with it.

I keep my temps in the low-mid 60’s with a swamp cooler. Then after 4-5 days I often take it out and let it warm up to high 60’s to finish.
My latest Porter I actually used WY 1450- Denny’s Favorite 50. It was the 2nd batch in a trio and all 3(Irish Red, Honey Porter, and Waldo Lake Amber) turned out great. It’s a nice yeast that I think I may start using more often.
Just remembered- last year’s Porter I used the WY Scottish ale yeast. Don’t remember the WY#. Used it in a Porter, Wee Heavy, and a Graf. That baby was a beast(in a good way), and I remember thinking I should use that one again.