Plate Chiller Sanitizing

Will prolonged exposure to star san damage a Therminator chiller? I was going to hook up my pump and a sediment filter in a closed loop and pump star san thru it it try to get the dam thing clean.

StarSan is a sanitizer. For cleaning try PBW or one of the acid cleaners. I clean it by pumping hot PBW backwards through it for 30 minutes (I do this for my pumps and hoses anyway).
Just had a talk at our homebrew club meeting from Dana at Birko (a brewery cleaner/sanitizer company) and they are recommending an acid cleaner rather than caustic or PBW.
Then you can sanitize it with StarSan or sterilize it in the oven.

[quote=“TG”]StarSan is a sanitizer. For cleaning try PBW or one of the acid cleaners. I clean it by pumping hot PBW backwards through it for 30 minutes (I do this for my pumps and hoses anyway).
Just had a talk at our homebrew club meeting from Dana at Birko (a brewery cleaner/sanitizer company) and they are recommending an acid cleaner rather than caustic or PBW.
Then you can sanitize it with StarSan or sterilize it in the oven.[/quote]
Can you clarify that for me? What procedure exactly would you use and how to prevent it from getting clogged in the first place in an AG brew. What is an acid cleaner?

Fill your boil kettle with the amount of water needed to run the pump. Add an appropriate amount of Lye (drain cleaner) and start the heat/pump.

You will start to see chunks coming out of the chiller. Eventually these will disappear as the Lye eats them.

Flush well when done.

For sanitizing, add water as needed to run the pump. Bring to a boil while running the pump. After 10-15 minutes transfer this the the MT to sparge with.

The boiling water method of sanitizing was mentioned as a sound practice by Sabco with there Chill Wizzard chiller.

[/quote]
Can you clarify that for me? What procedure exactly would you use and how to prevent it from getting clogged in the first place in an AG brew. What is an acid cleaner?[/quote]

Buy an IC chiller and you won’t have that problem that is why I got rid of mine to hard to clean.

[quote=“chuck”][/quote]
Can you clarify that for me? What procedure exactly would you use and how to prevent it from getting clogged in the first place in an AG brew. What is an acid cleaner?[/quote]

Buy an IC chiller and you won’t have that problem that is why I got rid of mine to hard to clean.[/quote]
OK mine is for sale PM me

My plate chiller never clogs. At the end of the boil I stir the wort and then let it settle for 15 minutes. Then I transfer the hot wort from the side of the boil kettle via a bazooka screen to the plate chiller.
For more info about acid cleaners check out the FiveStar or Birko websites.