Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler

If you prefer plastic just use a bucket. Maybe someone will come out with a clear bucket.

The BMB is essentially a clear bucket, but with advantages like the dual port lid.

Needs a handle. I was eyeing an empty chlorine bucket with a screw on lid. Anyone make a brew bucket like that. Need dual ports get out the drill.

Bottled yesterday and noticed there is a small burr on the top lip of the bottle, that had to be the problem, just poor quality from their supplier.

Bottled yesterday and noticed there is a small burr on the top lip of the bottle, that had to be the problem, just poor quality from their supplier.[/quote]

I had this same issue with the glass Big Mouth Bubbler. After trading some emails with NB, I decided to use two gaskets in the lid instead of one. I have used it twice since then, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

I switched to plastic after having glass BMB break. Truly a great product. Now I will say keep it away from heat source, I know, dumb. I had it too close to my gravity brew tree and almost ruined one. Luckily only flattened one edge at top band.
Keep up the development NB.

Old thread I know but figured I would ask here anyway…
I am going to use the 6.5 gal bubbler tomorrow ( used the bucket on my last batch, which was the first ever for me). I thought it would be nice to see the fermentation with the clear bubbler.
Anyway, I noticed there are graduated marks on the side of the bubbler but I was just pouring gallons of water in from a measured container but other than the first mark being close to a gallon, I don’t see the other marks lining up to any “gallon” measurement. Are they at measured liters? I was assuming gallons and I am very glad I checked.

Thank you

Tom

I have no idea if they are metric or not. Use your measure of gallons for true gallon marks. Factory marks on buckets often don’t measure up correctly either.

Yea, the markings are theoretically in gallons, but they usually are not overly accurate. I never really worried about it being very accurate, I figured out where full volume was per batch on my buckets and went from there when I did partial boils. Now that I do full volume, I disregard it completely

Thanks, I just did it again by pouring from a measured container, this time using the correct line on my container…( I think I was shorting myself about a pint on each pour from the last test). I have to get rid of some of this 30 year old kitchen equipment that is barely readable…in combination with my 58 year old eyes i guess.

It seems the marks on the bubbler are pretty close, but I marked it myself at the 5, 5.25, and 5.5 gal levels. I want to make a slightly larger than 5 gal batch to make sure I get a good 48 bottle batch this time. I also have a couple of growlers handy if I need one.

Not sure did look at them. But have a feeling it will not fit

Seal complaints are 3 years old. I just lost my glass carboy and 5 gallons of Caribou (but no blood, thankfully) and wondered if it is time to switch to plastic. I would like to go to a big mouth to make dry hopping easy, but only if the quality has improved. Thoughts?

I don’t use one but maybe start a new thread and ask. You’ll likely get better data.

We have several big mouths, one glass, the rest plastic and a fermonster Here’s my thoughts:

Plastic is a little flimsy so you tend to mess with the liquid in the air lock when you move them.
Fermonster with the screw lid. The lid is hard to get off even with keg lube on it.
Big mouths seals suck. Have to duct tape the lids on so no big deal. My biggest gripe with the big mouths is the bubble pattern is a PIA to clean. The fermonster is smooth and easy to clean. Both are lighter than the glass and less scary to handle. My two cents. :v:

2 Likes

I just run hot water over the fermonster lids…loosens them right up…also saw a lid tool for them at the lhbs a few days ago.

I have a couple BMBs with the original lids. The seal is crap, although maybe better than some buckets. I use plastic wrap before putting the lid on. Jab a hole for the airlock and it works fine. I did get a “universal” lid with the hopes of losing the plastic wrap. Those lids don’t seal at all if they’re wet, you know, like when you’ve just sanitized them in star San.

The BMBs work fine for me; I won’t get rid of them. But if I were buying today the fermonster would be my first choice.

I do use them for primary fermenting. Easy to clean once your done. But you got to make sure they seal well once you put you brew in

What technique(s) do you use to do this?

I set a ten pound Olympic weight plate on mine.

Handymans secret weapon.