Pitching with Wyeast 1007

Cheers, everyone!

I just brewed Northern Brewer’s German Alt extract kit; Wyeast 1007 was my yeast of choice. I pitched (at this point) 12 hours ago but there are no signs fermentation has begun.

-Is this normal for this yeast?

Best regards!

Did you make a starter? What temp is the wort? 12 hours is not unusual for any yeast, especially if you didn’t make a starter.

I didn’t make a starter. I figured a Wyeast smack-pack would be fine since it’s not a big beer. The wort is between 58 and 60 degrees fahrenheit now and I chilled it down to 65 before pitching.

So I’m okay then and just need to wait a bit longer?

[quote=“jthornton5”]I didn’t make a starter. I figured a Wyeast smack-pack would be fine since it’s not a big beer. The wort is between 58 and 60 degrees fahrenheit now and I chilled it down to 65 before pitching.

So I’m okay then and just need to wait a bit longer?[/quote]

Yeah, patience is likely all you need. What was the OG of the beer? My experience is that a starter for anything over 1.040 will definitely result in a better beer.

1 Like

OG was 1.052. Thanks Denny, this is my first time using Wyeast; I feel better now. About when should fermentation start?

I also put Wyeast nutrient in the boil kettle 10 minutes before the end of the boil (as per instructions on the vial of nutrient) to try to help the yeast along.

[quote=“jthornton5”]OG was 1.052. Thanks Denny, this is my first time using Wyeast; I feel better now. About when should fermentation start?

I also put Wyeast nutrient in the boil kettle 10 minutes before the end of the boil (as per instructions on the vial of nutrient) to try to help the yeast along.[/quote]

It’ll start when it starts…yeah, I know that’s not a lot of info! It should start within 36-48 hours…be patient and make a starter next time! See mrmalty.com for info.

I would not panic unit you reach 72 hours after pitching. Lot of people do panic after 48 hours and convince themselves to pitch more yeast, which is fine, but when fermentation does start, it is not the newer yeast. Hard to convince them of that.

I just did this kit as all grain and remember that the 1007 did start a little slow. I do starters and ususally see fermentation start in 8-12 hours. This took upwards of a day to really get going. I looked in my notes to see if i documented it but no luck. turned out great though, love the taste. cheers

Thanks everyone! Fermentation has begun and looks healthy. Cannot wait to drink.

Piggybacking onto this thread! Sorry I posted a similar and less educated question on a wyeast 1007 ferm temp in this forum, also. My altbier extract kit arrives today with wyeast1007 and a safe ale k97 as backup just in case. I don’t have any extra DME around to make a starter nor a flask or stir plate. Sounds like like I don’t necessarily need to make a starter for this style for good results? Anyone ever have any issues pitching straight liquid yeast into their wort? Any suggestions on best pitching method for straight liquid yeast if so? Was also thinking about pitching the k97 at the same time as the 1007. Anybody tried that? Thanks!!

The starting gravity usually determines the need of making a starter. What is the OG? I’ve made countless batches pitching without a starter without fail

2 Likes

The target OG is 1.052. I keep reading about the need to make a starter for liquid yeast if you didn’t buy two packs, which I was unaware of. The kit instructions don’t stress making a starter, but it also says to pitch at 78F, which is counter to everything I’ve been reading about altbier. Maybe it’s a typo as that is out of the range of optimum temp in the yeast info. I will prob just wait on making a starter until I have some extra DME. If the liquid fails to kick off fermentation I will just use my backup safeale k97.

You are right about 78° being too high. Temp range for 1007 is 55-68. Some of the instructions you see in kits boggle the mind. For a OG of 1.052 I would be temped to skip the starter.

If you don’t mind the cost Fast Pitch from our host Fast Pitch® Canned Wort - 4 Pack makes a starter easier. They are often sold out.

1 Like

Yeah I thought that temp was off. I haven’t had any issues with pitching dry yeast straight into it so far, but this is my first liquid yeast foray. My fifth batch overall. I’m still on the fence as to whether or not to do a pre-boil starter with some wort and the liquid yeast, complete the brew, and pitch the following day. I didn’t really even know what the fast pitch was for until yesterday when I started reading up on starters🤪

I always pitch dry yeast directly in. Some here may argue it needs to be rehydrated. One thing about starters is it won’t hurt to do one and may help a lot. Any high gravity beers needs one. I do large volume batches so unless I want to buy four smack packs I need to step up my yeast so I’m used to it.

1 Like

Ok cool, thanks a lot. What do you think about the preboil starter idea? Will there be enough sugars to help the yeast along? It will only be the steeping water, essentially

I usually save wort pre boil using runoff after getting my target amount for the fermenter. Either way after storing it in the fridge I like to bring it up to a boil just like using malt extract for my starter just to insure it is free of any bad stuff. The extra runoff from and AG batch is kind of a freebie except for the extra work of saving it. Not sure you would want to save the dark wort from something like a stout to use in a light color beer like a Pilsner though.

BTW I see you are bringing up some old threads which means you are using the search. Good work!

1 Like

.052 you can pitch one smak pac directly. I’ve never had problems doing it. Make sure its fully expanded and your wort is vigorously aerated. You’ve been using dry yeast which doesn’t require aeration. Pitch the yeast then pour the wort back and forth between 2 buckets.

1 Like

Well, are there any threads on making a starter?
One quart of water… bring it to a boil… lid on too… Once boiling… turn off the heat… add 3/4 cup DME (Dried Malt Extract)… Put the cover on it… I will set it back on the electric stove where it was boiled… not on mind you… and walk away… Letting the DME dissolve… quite a while later… I’ll put the in the fridge to cool… never take the lid off until its cool to the touch… You are looking for 70*F… Now its time to pour into yer sanitized 1/2 gallon jug… add the yeast and turn up KC’s song!! :sunglasses:
Doesn’t Drew Beechum have something on making many jars of starter?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks for all the great info guys! My yeast pack has not yet inflated so it looks like I will be making a starter with my wort once it’s ready. Will shake shake shake until tomorrow morning then pitch. Hopefully with good results. What’s the best way to pitch a liquid yeast? Back and forth between two buckets? A good stir?