Pitching on a Yeast Cake

when I do this, do I need to aerated the wort and original yeast, or avoid doing so, since the right number of cells are already in there?
thanks

[quote=“All Grain”]when I do this, do I need to aerated the wort and original yeast, or avoid doing so, since the right number of cells are already in there?
thanks[/quote]
Just pouring the wort in on the cake should be enough aeration imho unless it’s a really big beer. Then you may want to aerate it more. Even then if you’re using the whole cake it may not be all that necessary.

But unless you’re brewing a high gravity beer, go ahead and pour/scoop out 2/3 of the cake. The full cake is too much yeast, especially if you’re using certain strains.

[quote=“brewingdan”]But unless you’re brewing a high gravity beer, go ahead and pour/scoop out 2/3 of the cake. The full cake is too much yeast, especially if you’re using certain strains.[/quote

THIS^^^^

okay, thanks.
but this is weird to me: the yeast multiplied and reached their “critical mass” for the job of a given gravity. If I pitch the same gravity wort onto the undisturbed yeast cake, why can’t I assume it’s the “perfect” number of cells? (why get rid of 2/3?)
Is it because i want the yeast to go through the cycle of multiplying so they can impart the yeast’s characteristic flavor profile?

[quote=“All Grain”]okay, thanks.
but this is weird to me: the yeast multiplied and reached their “critical mass” for the job of a given gravity. If I pitch the same gravity wort onto the undisturbed yeast cake, why can’t I assume it’s the “perfect” number of cells? (why get rid of 2/3?)
Is it because i want the yeast to go through the cycle of multiplying so they can impart the yeast’s characteristic flavor profile?[/quote]

Yes, that’s it. In addition, I think you’re wrong about ending up with a “perfect” number of cells.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I’m going to be doing the petite saison de et, followed by the Storm The Bastille, both using the belle saison dry yeast. Since the Bastille is such a big beer should I leave let’s say half of the cake from the petite? Maybe more? Maybe less? I DEFFINATLY want those yeast esters for a saison.
Thanks in advance!!!