Pico de Gallo

Homemade pico de gallo is about as garden fresh as it gets. Just curious if everyones preference is towards red onions or white onions in their pico recipe?
[attachment=0]2012-07-01_03-06-43_334-re.jpg[/attachment]

Authentic is white onions and that’s what I prefer.

Thanks Denny. I prefer the white as well and use them in my recipe. But, seems like most recipes that I have seen lately use red onions.

White for me as well!

We get bunches of “bulb onions” from Mexico, like green onions that they’re let grow until the white part is about half the diameter of a golf ball, and I like to chop the whole thing, green and white, for beans, pico, marinades, etc. The fresh green part adds a nice dimension along with the cilantro.

Thanks for the input guys.
I may have to try a batch with a 50/50 mix of whites and reds just to see why several recipes recommend the reds.
But, seriously doubt I’ll be changing my recipe anytime soon. :wink:

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Homemade pico de gallo is about as garden fresh as it gets. Just curious if everyones preference is towards red onions or white onions in their pico recipe?
[attachment=0]2012-07-01_03-06-43_334-re.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

What’s the recipe?

This is my recipe, you can scale to your needs.

5 Large tomatoes, diced(I use Better Boy)
4 Medium white onions, diced
3 Large Jalapenos, diced
3 Serranos, diced
1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice from 2 limes
Zest from 1 lime
1 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in bowl. Best when allowed to set in the fridge for 24hrs to allow the flavors to meld.

Looks good. Sometimes I bump up the garlic for a change. BTW, I like white in Pico de Gallo, but prefer red or Walla Walla on hamburgers.
Do you peel and seed your tomatoes?

Nope. Just dice.

I’ve found that I really love adding green onion to my pico as well.

As far as the onion goes, I prefer white but generally end up settling for what I have in the cupboard.

I prefer red, my wife likes white. so we go with white. :lol:

Shadetree,
I was in Mexico and kept finding those onions grilled whole (greens and bulb) they were fantastic. Just oil, salt, and pepper,

Good plan life goes better when SWMBO is happy. :mrgreen:

I like the red onions because they are sweeter then white onions.

Cheers :cheers:

I use the food processor. Quick and simple

Man, that looks great! I would “wallow” in that when nobody was looking.