Picking up supplies for brewday

I’ve tried that regiment of temps before and I can’t tell a difference… the only difference I’ve noticed with Alpha and Beta rest is lowered FG…more bang for the buck? Perhaps…
But that also includes pH adjustment… trying to give them enzymes an optimal condition to preform in… if I may…
Sneezles61

Thats what dry is lower final gravity. You should be able to notice a difference between a beer that finishes .009 compared to .019

1 Like

A good example is a Stout. Ferment one dry then do the same recipe and let it finish high. Two different beers

Brewed today. I did the single fusion. I used my new mash 10 gal mash tun. I was between 130-135 for the hour. The reason for the hour was it was a single fusion. First time for this. Being that I do a HERMS, I had an issue with the mash out. After adding my water for the mash out, it was 155. It took 15 mins to get to 165. I ran it for 10 mins. I ended up doing; mosaic 60, citra 30
& 10, amatillo 30; dry hopping with citra , amarillo. The OG was 1.040. I was going to use 1lb of oats ended up doing 2 lbs. The PH was 54.

I have to tell you the 130 deg will give you poor conversion should be closer to 150. lucky you had trouble raising the temperature because I believe while your mash was between 155 and 165 is when you would get conversion. A mash out needs to be around 170 to stop conversion which is the reason for a mashout.

2 Likes

See where the ranges are? All the other stuff below 140 doesn’t do anything for me… I like 142F for a half hour and 150F plus for another half hour…
Sneezles61
EDIT: looks like it time to recalibrate my thermometer… no way is it almost 80*F downstairs…

1 Like

I should have checked our conversation before starting. When I use my hydrometer for the gravity test, I taste the wort in the beaker and it tasted ok. Lesson learned. Once the mash out got to 165, I did let it go for 10 mins. It took me 20 mins to get 165. The equipment was sticky before washing. I hope I did get some conversion. Funny about the thermometer, I check mine with another one. I use the house probe one. I have to wait a few weeks to find out. I will let you know. Not my finest hours…learn from it. :expressionless

1 Like

Pretty sure you got conversion because what your calling mash out was just a step mash. Brewers do a mashout in large batches to stop converting sugars during the draining of the tun. Home brewers of small batches don’t generally bother because of the short time from tun to kettle.

You didn’t mess up, you did make beer! I’d call it, tweaking…
our testing equipment does need to be checked periodically.
Sneezles61

1 Like

After looking above you were in the mash temp zone for at least 30 minutes probably longer during the drain and sparge all good. I’ve done 45 min mashing without problem. Mashing and mashing temps are the fun part of brewing

1 Like

I thought in Palmers “how to brew” there are claims about conversion is mostly done in 20 minutes… but due to the centuries old process, an hour is “standard” practice.
Sneezles61

You can look back and see that I have said," I learn something every time I brew". Going to wait it out and see what happens. I am getting activity in the carboy. I am getting a nice foamy top,(krausen?) if that is the word. Do you guys think the OG is too low?

1 Like

Not a bad OG. Been my focus for a while…
Without knowing volumes, it looks like you are about 55% brewery efficiency from the grainbill. That’s figuring 5 gallons into the fermenter… using my deciphering method…
Sneezles61

Thank you for info and conversation. This is why I join this forum!!

2 Likes

Dried hopped the beer today; 1oz mosaic , 1oz citra.

1 Like

There are suggestions that leaving the hops in too long, leads to grassy flavors… maybe look up dry hopping conversations online… might find some here, but not as in-depth…
Sneezles61

I am going to leave them in for 2-3 days and I will check gravity. Thanks for the suggestion :+1:

1 Like