Ph Meter Question

Got a new Milwaukee economy Ph meter for X-mas and was given the 4.01 solution to calibrate.

The directions says this 1 point calibration unit should be calibrated with the 7.01 solution. Couldn’t I use the 4.01 solution to calibrate since 4.01 is closer to the Ph we test for in the mash? Or should I stick with the 7.01 solution and just order a bottle of that solution?

I am in no rush as I am not brewing for a couple weeks yet, but want to be as accurate as I can be with what I am working with.

I would get the 7.01 and do a multi-point calibration. I’m pretty sure that will give you a more accurate calibration and it only takes an extra 30 seconds.

Jk, you will need to do a manual 7.01 one point calibration.
Depending on type you can have a few points of calibration, but with your model it is only one at the 7.01 realm. You should have a small screw under the top and a screwdriver. The link I have provided also includes a video. Basically you insert the probe in the solution and will also have to account for temp as it does not feature auto ATC. In most cases when reading a sample at 60-80f it is not big enough to matter. But at any rate for completeness the 7.01 sachet has a temp breakdown on it if needed. But bottom line is to let the probe rest in solution for a minute or two before starting to adjust as it might still be reading while you start turning it out of range etc… then your just bouncing around for nothing.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/pH600.html

I’ve used this in my hydroponic system. In my experience, buy a bottle of the calibration fluid. You will need to calibrate it every time you use it. You can buy a bottle on Amazon for about $8.00. Fill a shot glass 1/4 full of fluid and take a reading and adjust as needed (every time you use it).

Sorry for suggesting the 2 point calibration - I didn’t realize that some models only accept a single calibration point.