Peachy "off flavor"

Not really sure what this is but both of the IPA’s I’ve made have a sort of peach type flavor to them. It’s not unpleasant but not exactly a flavor I want in my pale ales. There are quite a few similar ingredients in them to so wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Below are the ingredients for both:

IPA 1
C40
Honey malt
Golden Light DME
Nugget (bitter)
Mosaic/Cascade (10/0/dryhop)
WY1028 (London Ale)

IPA 2
C80
Special Roast
Golden Light DME
Simcoe (bitter)
Simcoe/Cascade (10/0/dryhop)
WLP013 (London Ale)

My gut is telling me its the hops. Both have cascade and I know mosaic and simcoe are similar. Anyone experienced a peachy flavor from using these hops together?

I believe I’ve heard London Ale strains can put out “peach-like” esters.
I’m also pretty sure WY1028 and WLP013 are just brands of the same yeast, so maybe it’s the yeast(s)?

I was thinking immediately you had been using simcoe and/ or amarillo in combo.
I tend to get a light mango-peachy from simcoe along with the strong pine/ citrus. One of my top 5 goto hops for apa/ ipa. Haven’t yet used mosiac but look forward to it, being it is sister of simcoe. Although the blueberry notes given for it kind of give me the willies. What are your thoughts on mosiac regarding this blueberry business

I would agree with JM on the British yeast also as they tend to throw strong stone fruit esters that could be just amplifing the simcoe. Not necessarily a bad thing. Let it age a little if it is too strong. I would think the pine will start to dominate and it might meld even better also if they age a bit.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]I was thinking immediately you had been using simcoe and/ or amarillo in combo.
I tend to get a light mango-peachy from simcoe along with the strong pine/ citrus. One of my top 5 goto hops for apa/ ipa. Haven’t yet used mosiac but look forward to it, being it is sister of simcoe. Although the blueberry notes given for it kind of give me the willies. What are your thoughts on mosiac regarding this blueberry business.[/quote]

I didn’t pickup any blueberry at all. I did hear some people pick that up but i got a lot of grapefruit/tropical fruit but no blueberry at all. I do like the flavor but they accentuate sweetness so I would suggest using them in a drier beer or it may be too sweet. I got mine from

I know US05 throws a little peach ester at low ferm temps, maybe your ferm temp was lower and this caused the British yeast to do the same thing?

Fermented them both around 62ish so that is a possibility as well.

[quote=“JMcK”]I believe I’ve heard London Ale strains can put out “peach-like” esters.
I’m also pretty sure WY1028 and WLP013 are just brands of the same yeast, so maybe it’s the yeast(s)?[/quote]

This was my thought as well. We all get different flavors from hops, but seeing what you used, I wouldn’t think “peach” from that combo. I just don’t get peach from any of those. Others may though. We all get different flavors from hops. Simcoe for instance. I get nothing but pine. Most would say also citrus and other fruit flavors, but I really just get a punch in the face of pine.

I’m not sure about IPA #2, but first thing I thought when tasting Mosaic was “Citra”. I also get pine from Simcoe, dobe.

It could be from the yeast. I use 1028 a lot but haven’t noticed peach.

Years of smoking have not been beneficial to my palette, though.

[quote=“mattnaik”]Not really sure what this is but both of the IPA’s I’ve made have a sort of peach type flavor to them. It’s not unpleasant but not exactly a flavor I want in my pale ales. There are quite a few similar ingredients in them to so wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Below are the ingredients for both:

IPA 1
C40
Honey malt
Golden Light DME
Nugget (bitter)
Mosaic/Cascade (10/0/dryhop)
WY1028 (London Ale)

IPA 2
C80
Special Roast
Golden Light DME
Simcoe (bitter)
Simcoe/Cascade (10/0/dryhop)
WLP013 (London Ale)

My gut is telling me its the hops. Both have cascade and I know mosaic and simcoe are similar. Anyone experienced a peachy flavor from using these hops together?[/quote]

The only 3 ingredients I’m seeing that are used in both recipes are the Golden Light DME, the Cascade hops, and the London Ale yeast, although the source of the yeast is different in each case. Cascade hops are not known for giving off a peachy flavor, so I think it’s pretty safe to rule those out as the culprit. The DME is obviously a fairly neutral ingredient that’s not likely to give off any sort of fruity character. That leaves the yeast, which, although they come from different sources, are probably pretty much the same strain, and English yeasts are definitely known for exhibiting fruity esters. I’d say that’s almost certainly your answer right there. I’ve personally never experimented with the London Ale yeast strain, so I can’t say that I’ve experienced that issue, although I’ve used other English yeasts that have shown some definite fruitiness. If you’re looking for an English yeast that’s a bit more neutral, I strongly recommend the British Ale strain from White Labs, if you’ve never used it. I’ve used it in a variety of ale recipes, from pale ale to stout, and I’ve never found it to contribute an overly dominant character. That’s my best tip on this one.

Interesting. I have used 1028 quite a bit and have never detected any type of fruitiness that could not be attributed to the hops. I ferment in the low to mid 60’s. The character I get from it is more minerally.

I never got peach from SAF05, but I have got ungodly amts of it from SAF04 (english). So, mabbe its just english yeast

I did a quick google for “Wyeast 1028 peach” to see if other people have reported a peach ester from this yeast. I got nothing, except the reference below which mentions possible infection (I’m not implying the OP’s beers are infected).

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... 02&start=8

Based on my experience with this specific yeast strain and lack of supporting evidence from others, I doubt the yeast is the culprit–at least not on its own.

I did encounter this once using US05 in an APA, people actually liked it.