Peach fruit puree or fresh peaches in the secondary?

I am going to make a peach wheat beer hopefully similar to R.J. Rockers Son of a Peach. I am going to use fresh peaches regardless because I would rather use my own instead of the expensive canned puree. Has anyone used peaches in their beer?

I’m helping a case of peaches ripen…
My plan is to cut up/smash 5 lbs add to the finished primary… Turn the temp down to 32 and give it a couple weeks…
This is my first time so I’ll have a starting point…
Sneezles61

1 Like

You will want to pasteurize them unless you are cool with a secondary Brett fermentation (which I like but others are not into)

Aw nuts Squeegee… That’s why I wanted to keep cold… Perhaps I just should eat them… They are very good!
Sneezles61

159F for even a minute would be enough to pasteurize since the wild microbes are on the outside.

I’ve read that you dunk them in boiling water for 90 seconds… and the jackets will pull off very easy… I’ll report back later this week…
Sneezles61

Definitely doing a secondary ferment because of the fruit addition.

Yeah, just a quick blanch and ice water to cool work for fresh. Frozen, I’ve been able to get them off under hot tap water.
Like squeegee said, the microbes are on the outside.

1 Like

I can start to smell them… They should be ready in a couple day…
I’m going to turn them into purée in the food processor… I don’t want to take time to freeze now…
Sneezles61

I like using fresh, then I mash and then freeze a week ahead of time, blanch the day of, then bring back down to temp. Then just rack on top of that mush and let it sit for 7-10 days usually.

Then again I hate sours, so I’m doing everything I can to avoid that. Purees are nice but expensive as heck. I often find the puree cans aren’t enough flavor, so buying 2 is like 60+ dollars. Fresh peaches are much cheaper around here this time of year

1 Like

Do it in the primary after it has crashed. It will foam up again and then subside and then it can go to secondary . Works much better! I have done it both ways and adding it to the primary after the foam drops works better and gives you a much cleaner beer!

This is foolproof!