PBW or Starsan in a toilet?

So, weird/bad question out of actual chemistry knowledge… Is it / how bad is it to use leftover cleaner (I’m thinking mainly PBW) in a toilet?
I have a carboy soaking in PBW and thought I’d pour some in the Upper Deck of the toilet, but wanted to ask about the acidity. Is that safe or will it eat everything?

dumb question, but I’m curious now

PBW is caustic, not acidic, if I’m not mistaken. I don’t think it’s any worse than those bleach tablets they market for toilet tanks. I don’t see the point, though, I just pour mine down the drain.

We have well water and sometimes we get deposits in the toilet tank. I’ve used Oxyclean in there to clean it up. Works pretty well.

I would be cautious of using cleaners in the toilets water tank. I used Iron Out once. It melted/softened some of the plastic components. The care and maintenance sheet for the toilet did not list any of these ingredients as not to be used.

Ingredients of Iron Out:
Sodium carbonate 497-19-8 3 - 7
Sodium hydrosulfite 7775-14-6 15 - 40
Sodium metabisulfite 7681-57-4 15 - 40
Citric acid 77-92-9 1 - 5
Sodium sulfite 7757-83-7 0.5 - 1.5
Sodium bisulfite 7631-90-5 0.1 - 1

1 Like

Tank internals replacement kit at home depot 14.99
Stopping my wife from complaining about the dirty looking tank - priceless

why was she looking in there in the first place?

1 Like

Out of site out of mind is my mantra.

1 Like

Unless you’re going to shut the water off and empty the tank by flushing a couple times and completely fill the tank you won’t be able to add it at the ratio of what you’re cleaning with. Even then it won’t take more than a flush before more water is added to it. I wouldn’t waste PBW if you’re talking about adding the powder into the tank and not the grey water from carboy cleaning.

Toilets have “care and maintenance” sheets???

Does it have an instruction manual too?

Now that’s anal

3 Likes

haha, you just HAD to, didn’t you?

1 Like

Im sure he asked first.

1 Like

Maintence sheet new word for toilet paper. My wife bitches when i do toss the left over trub from the carboy in the toilet. Miss sometimes. Stuff on the floor. But bit cleaning all done

Those bleach tablets are far worse for the workings of the toilet and plumbing than PBW would ever be. Last year when I was tasked with replacing the mechanisms in one of my home toilet tanks, the instruction sheet with the parts kit was very specific about never using those bleach tablets in the tank…they actually cause damage to the flush mechanisms!

1 Like

And not to mention to any of the pets that seem to make the toilet a drinking bowl…:confounded: Sneezles61

1 Like