Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Pasta Mill- how I mounted it to a board

Most people I’ve seen take off the bottom of the Pasta Mill, then somehow attach it to a large piece of wood. The problem is the bottom of the pasta mill has holes in it, but doesn’t have any nuts to screw into. Here is my simple solution: Drill a hole in a piece of wood, then run the clamp up through the hole, so that it clamps on the bottom of the board- up through the board, then clamps unto the pasta mill.

I used my drill and noticed a huge difference between the different settings: either I had the smaller grains going straight through it and not getting crushed, or the milling was very very slow. Eventually I decided to run it once through the large setting, then again at a smaller setting. The second time, the grains rip through it.

I did a lot of work scratching the rollers horizontally with a screwdriver but found they were not deep enough and the grain would slip. Running a large drill in reverse cut deeper, curved groove and caused burrs I need to use a steel brush to get off.

I’ve heard of much larger rollers (larger than 4 inches) being smooth and working fine- I think because the grain sits down in it… small rollers like these in the pasta mill (2 inches I think) just don’t cause enough area to sit down in it… which means I think I have to also scratch the rollers even more.

I also noted there was a TON more grain going through the left side of the rollers (the side closest to the dial gauge)… because the rollers seem to be somewhat uneven.

I like your scar.
How hard are the rollers?
Would a hacksaw blade cut them?
Might help it pull grain if you could get some cross hatched groove pattern on there.

I think a hacksaw would move around too much, unless I built some sort of jig. I think I might just ask a friend to grind some lines in it. I was thinking horizontal lines would be better- why cross-hatched? Just because that is what knurling looks like?

Hopefully the scar will heal. Or I will need some sort of villan power to go with it.

Yeah thats pretty much what I meant, like a knurled roller.
Seems like it would give more surface area to pull with. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX to keep the grain moving.
Deeper, more aggressive horizontal grooves might work too.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com