Pasta Mill- how I mounted it to a board

Most people I’ve seen take off the bottom of the Pasta Mill, then somehow attach it to a large piece of wood. The problem is the bottom of the pasta mill has holes in it, but doesn’t have any nuts to screw into. Here is my simple solution: Drill a hole in a piece of wood, then run the clamp up through the hole, so that it clamps on the bottom of the board- up through the board, then clamps unto the pasta mill.

I used my drill and noticed a huge difference between the different settings: either I had the smaller grains going straight through it and not getting crushed, or the milling was very very slow. Eventually I decided to run it once through the large setting, then again at a smaller setting. The second time, the grains rip through it.

I did a lot of work scratching the rollers horizontally with a screwdriver but found they were not deep enough and the grain would slip. Running a large drill in reverse cut deeper, curved groove and caused burrs I need to use a steel brush to get off.

I’ve heard of much larger rollers (larger than 4 inches) being smooth and working fine- I think because the grain sits down in it… small rollers like these in the pasta mill (2 inches I think) just don’t cause enough area to sit down in it… which means I think I have to also scratch the rollers even more.

I also noted there was a TON more grain going through the left side of the rollers (the side closest to the dial gauge)… because the rollers seem to be somewhat uneven.

I like your scar.
How hard are the rollers?
Would a hacksaw blade cut them?
Might help it pull grain if you could get some cross hatched groove pattern on there.

I think a hacksaw would move around too much, unless I built some sort of jig. I think I might just ask a friend to grind some lines in it. I was thinking horizontal lines would be better- why cross-hatched? Just because that is what knurling looks like?

Hopefully the scar will heal. Or I will need some sort of villan power to go with it.

Yeah thats pretty much what I meant, like a knurled roller.
Seems like it would give more surface area to pull with. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX to keep the grain moving.
Deeper, more aggressive horizontal grooves might work too.