Party Rush

All,

Well brewed a Hefeweizen on July 4th today would make 10 days. The OG was 1.052 reading yesterday was Friday it was 1.025, Sunday it was 1.025.

What do we think…party is on the 19th i figure I can leave it two more days carb the hell out of it @ 40psi to make the deadline.

Tim

That seems like a really high FG for a hefe. Was it an extract kit? Also, what yeast did you use?

1.025 is definitely to high. That’s only a 50.7% attenuation and a 3.5% abv. Sounds like fermentation has stalled. What temp is the wort? Warm it up (mid 70s) for a couple days and see if it restarts.

What if because it doesn’t finish and let’s say theoretically it doesn’t taste very good then you serve it to folks, what will people think of you and your brews? That’s the alternative. I say this because it happened to me many years ago, and I’ve learned my lesson about rushing things.

My advice is, let it finish properly. Then you’ll have a good excuse for another party. :cheers:

+1 on 1.025 is too high. Warm it up, give the fermenter a little swirl and maybe add some yeast nutrient. If it doesn’t finish in time for the party it just wasn’t meant to be. If you have the equipment to connect it, just buy a small keg of micro brew and explain your own needs time to be done.

Are you using a refractometer for your gravity measurements? If you are, the alcohol in the fermenting beer affects the optical density of the solution - you have to correct the reading.

If you’re using a refractometer and the reading is 6.5 brix, with no alcohol in solution 6.5 brix converts to 1.025. With fermenting beer alcohol is present; the refractive index of the water is affected by the presence of dissolved sugar and dissolved alcohol, so your corrected gravity for a beer starting at 1.052 is 1.010.

BeerSmith has a Refractometer correction tool. Or, search Northern Brewer’s site for the conversion - and hopefully a better explanation.

[quote=“Old_Dawg”]Are you using a refractometer for your gravity measurements? If you are, the alcohol in the fermenting beer affects the optical density of the solution - you have to correct the reading.

If you’re using a refractometer and the reading is 6.5 brix, with no alcohol in solution 6.5 brix converts to 1.025. With fermenting beer alcohol is present; the refractive index of the water is affected by the presence of dissolved sugar and dissolved alcohol, so your corrected gravity for a beer starting at 1.052 is 1.010.

BeerSmith has a Refractometer correction tool. Or, search Northern Brewer’s site for the conversion - and hopefully a better explanation.[/quote]

Sorry for the late response thanks for the input: however: yes I am using a refractometer one of my brew buddies sent me this link:

http://www.petedrinks.com/refractometer-abv-calculator/

I kept wondering why in the world were my beers not finishing out…seems like they really were! I tend not to rush my brews but this one I did…its kegged and carbing as we speak…

Thanks again!!!

It was actually an all grain 10 gallon batch half wheat half 2 row just a standard Hefe. I used WLP 300 it has not finished carbing, but does have some Banana / clove flavor. I think I should have under pitched a bit to bring out the flavors.

Although that might change once it is carb’d up. ABV of ~5.8 I have another batch on “hold” so I can take another reading on that and see if it did finish out more.