Partigyle from Denny's Barleywine Recipe

So Im FINALLY getting around to brewing Denny’s Barleywine recipe. Im also going to take that and do a partigyle beer. Ive never done this before and Im wondering how to construct the recipe for the partigyle batch. Anybody have a suggestion? Denny perhaps?

Consider mixing a pound or two of crystal malt in to the mash after collecting barlywine runnings and before you add the sparge water for the second beer. Figure the gravity of the second beer will be about 1/2 (or less) of that of the first to estimate hopping rate if both runnings are equal volume.

Are you partigyling by using only first runnings for the BW?

Just did this a few weeks ago for the second time this year.
I think I used a couple pounds less of base malt this time around.

BW, all 1st runnings, OG = 1.091.

Partigyle, just “sparge”/2nd runnings, OG = 1.036

In the past I usually cap the mash with a few more pounds of base malt and have gotten OG of mid to upper 1.040’s

You could also add a pound or two of DME to the partigyle if you’re not satisfied with the OG.

I’ve hopped for ambers and pale ales for the Partigyle. This time around, being my OG was pretty low, I made a bitter out of the partigyle.

Good Luck and save some of that BW for a few years if you can stand it!

I would keep some DME on hand just to be safe. Maybe just have a few ounces of hops, run the sparge to get your partigyle batch, do a gravity check and then quick plug some hops into a recipe calculator based on what gravity you got to make your recipe on the fly. Just roll with it and take it as it comes that way it doesn’t matter if your numbers are exactly on because you’re inventing them as you go.

Whatever you do though take some good notes so you can reference what you did and how you got there next time you make up this beer.

PS: Just bottled my Old Stoner after eight months of aging the other week. So ready to try it!

I almost always add a lb. or 2 of crystal before i do the 2nd runoff. Sometimes some dark malts if I want a brown ale, sometimes some Munich if I’m patient enough to let the 2nd water addition sit for a while before I run it off. Then I just run off the 2nd runnings and see what I’ve got. At that point I’ll decide on hop additions and whether I want to adjust gravity.

Yes I figured I’d try to get my volume like a normal beer through the mash and a sparge, and then use whatever is left in there for a second beer.

I like the idea of adding a little grain to it after I get my first runnings. Thanks guys. Im not really concerned with the gravity of the second batch. Mostly trying to figure out how to hop it.

Denny, what gravity do you get usually for the second beer? Do you have a hop schedule for it that you sort of stick to?

[quote=“Adam20”][quote=“Shadetree”]Are you partigyling by using only first runnings for the BW?[/quote]Yes I figured I’d try to get my volume like a normal beer through the mash and a sparge, and then use whatever is left in there for a second beer.[/quote]So the answer is actually “no” - you intend to make the beer like a normal batch-sparge and then pass a second sparge through the grain to get the small beer. There will be very little sugar left in the grain for the small beer if you do it like this. “First runnings only” means that you get entire kettle volume from just the mash, which leaves a fair amount of sugar behind to play with - duder’s post has some good numbers in it.

Denny, what gravity do you get usually for the second beer? Do you have a hop schedule for it that you sort of stick to?[/quote]

OG for the second beer (without additions) is somewhere from 1.045-65. Hop schedule depends on the style, but almost never includes FWH, for no other reason than I just don’t want to deal with it at that point! Basically, I just wing the second batch.

OH ok that makes sense. So I’d mash with roughly 8 gallons to end up with a 6 to 7 gallon batch of high gravity wort. I want to mash with like 7.9 gallons for a ratio of 1.25 if Ive got 25lbs of grain. I dont remember the exact number

Sound right?

Denny, what gravity do you get usually for the second beer? Do you have a hop schedule for it that you sort of stick to?[/quote]

OG for the second beer (without additions) is somewhere from 1.045-65. Hop schedule depends on the style, but almost never includes FWH, for no other reason than I just don’t want to deal with it at that point! Basically, I just wing the second batch.[/quote]

Thats perfect. Thats a good range. I guess I’ll do some sort of pale ale hopping.

[quote=“Adam20”]So I’d mash with roughly 8 gallons to end up with a 6 to 7 gallon batch of high gravity wort. I want to mash with like 7.9 gallons for a ratio of 1.25 if Ive got 25lbs of grain. I dont remember the exact number

Sound right?[/quote]

I’m not punching in any number here but that sounds a bit low to me to account for absorption on 27lbs (is that right?) of grain.

Also, what size is your mashtun? Just make sure you have enough room for this beast.

25 lbs I think. I’ll have to check. I have a 10 gallon cooler mash tun. I think the Green bay rackers calculater says I can handle up to 25 at a 1.25 ratio. I can mash at a different ratio if I need more liquid right?

[quote]OH ok that makes sense. So I’d mash with roughly 8 gallons to end up with a 6 to 7 gallon batch of high gravity wort. I want to mash with like 7.9 gallons for a ratio of 1.25 if Ive got 25lbs of grain. I dont remember the exact number

Sound right?
[/quote]

Not so sure that sound right. I think I used 10.5 gallons of mash water to get 7 Gallons pre-boil.

I usually figure on 0.13 gallon loss for grain absorption. If I had 26 lbs grain I should lose 3.38 gallon to grain absorption. Plus a little for mash tun losses. All system will be slightly different of course. That will leave me right around 7 gallons going into the kettle pre-boil. I can easily boil off 1 gallon in an hour. Maybe a bit more and I just about always shoot for 5.5 in the primary. Partigyle water would be whatever you want to end up with pre-boil for the smaller beer. Grain absorption is no longer an issue. I usually just hit it with 7 gallons of water, 154 F or so and stir it , vorlauf and drain.

Once you do it , it will seem really straight forward.

Good Luck.

.125 (or roughly a pint per gallon) multiplied by 25 gallons equals 3.1 gallons lost to absorption. So if you’re mashing in with 7.8 gallons (1.25 multiplied by 25 divided by four) that leave you somewhere around 5 pre-boil without a sparge. I think that math is right…

You could do a smaller super concentrate Barleywine with no sparge or could sparge a bit to get it up to your seven gallons.

Grain absorption + desired pre-boil volume = mash water needed :smiley:

Damn. Ok… What I think I’ll do is steal my parents rectangular 15 gallonish cooler and put my fittings on it so that I can mash with plenty of water. Seems like and easy solution.

If everything fits on there correctly that should be a good solution.

That’s probably what I have. :slight_smile: The BW / Partigyle are the only beer(s) I use that cooler for.

It’s square and big and that much grain & water fills it to the absolute brim! :lol:

At least I don’t have to worry about temperature loss due to excessive head space! :shock:

Make sure it fits before you get too deep into this.