Partial Mash Potential Problem

I just made my first partial mash brew, Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter. In the instructions there is plenty of emphasis on being pretty close to the temperatures they post. I realized about halfway through that my thermometer (that came with my starter kit) was actually reading somewhere around 30 degrees lower than actual temperature. I had already soaked the grain and put on the sparge water before I realized the problem. I went ahead and finished, because there wasn’t really any turning back at that point. As expected, the brew is fermenting just fine.

I was wondering what potential problems might have been created by being above temp. Can anyone help me out here?

30 degrees?? So your mash was 180*F? Worst case is that you got no enzyme activation and didn’t convert starches to sugar. What was your OG as compared to the recipe’s?

The specific gravity was actually very close. 1.060 instead of 1.061.

Being too hot could cause no enzime activation? I guess I was thinking the problem would be getting something I didn’t want out of the grains rather than not getting what I wanted. I’m no expert in the area, though.

[quote=“dustinwwww”]The specific gravity was actually very close. 1.060 instead of 1.061.

Being too hot could cause no enzime activation? I guess I was thinking the problem would be getting something I didn’t want out of the grains rather than not getting what I wanted. I’m no expert in the area, though.[/quote]

Did you taste a sample? I think there is a rumor/plausible truth that mashing over 170*F will leach tannins from the grain. If your OG came in on target I would say that you got what you wanted out of the grains. There’s a possibility that some of those sugars weren’t broken down enough to let the yeast get at 'em. So you may finish sweeter than expected. Let it ride and see what you get. At least it’ll be beer! :slight_smile:

What does releasing tannins do?

It tasted pretty sweet, but I don’t normally taste the wort so I don’t have much to compare it to.

Thanks for your help on this.

I’ve HEARD it’s astringent, like a drying out of the mouth after eating a grape skin. I think Ph is more at play in tannin extraction than temp though. Here, check out wikipedia for a little more insight as to what goes on when you’re mashing grain and how temperature plays a key role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashing#Amylase_rests

Any chance you were looking at the C instead of the F on the thermometer??? I do that everynow and then and need to do a double check

I wish, but no. Trust me. I checked numerous times since I was so befuddled by what I realized was going on.