Partial boil and topping off

I was thinking yesterday after brewing my partial boil extract kit, isn’t there a possibility that the water used to bring to the full volume could be contaminated? The directions don’t mention a need to boil the water so why isn’t this a concern?

The directions should have you boil and cool the water, or state that you should top off with sanitized water.

Techniecally the water could be contaminated. Really depends on how much you trust your water source.

I have never done anything other than just add water - either from the tap or from the bottle. In this case, there is always a risk, but usually not something I would bother worying about.

It’s just good ol’ city water. I basically use a plastic pitcher to transfer from faucet to carboy. The thought of sanitizing the pitcher after each pour seemed a bit excessive and then I kinda thought, what’s the point if the water isn’t sanitized.

Just sounds like one more reason to start looking into full boils. The only thing holding me back now is the investment into a bigger kettle, and a wort cooler. It’s my understanding that full 5gal boils take hours to cool down in an ice bath.

I boil my water (brita filtered city water) for 20 minutes and then run my chiller through it while my wort is boiling.

[quote=“mattnaik”]It’s just good ol’ city water. I basically use a plastic pitcher to transfer from faucet to carboy. The thought of sanitizing the pitcher after each pour seemed a bit excessive and then I kinda thought, what’s the point if the water isn’t sanitized.

Just sounds like one more reason to start looking into full boils. The only thing holding me back now is the investment into a bigger kettle, and a wort cooler. It’s my understanding that full 5gal boils take hours to cool down in an ice bath.[/quote]

1. Make sure you dechlorinate/dechloramineate that city water or you may be posting a “why do my beers always taste a little funny” post.
  2. I cool my 6-7.5 G boils in a swamp cooler. Cold water from the hose. Change the water after 10 minutes the 1st time, then after 10-15 minutes, then the last time I add ice. Cools it down to 70* or less within 30-45 minutes.
  3. When I used to do partial boils, I would top off with water straight from the tap, but I’m on a well.

I top off straight from the tap. City water. Never had a problem.

Just totally speculating off the cuff, I wonder if a city’s water system is a very hospitable environment for the kinds of sugar-loving bugs that you’ve got to worry about getting into your beer.

[quote=“James Rausch”]
2. I cool my 6-7.5 G boils in a swamp cooler. Cold water from the hose. Change the water after 10 minutes the 1st time, then after 10-15 minutes, then the last time I add ice. Cools it down to 70* or less within 30-45 minutes.[/quote]

Sounds like a ridiculously efficient swamp cooler. What’s your setup look like for that?

Well water coming from the hose at 50* even in the summer helps a lot!