Paintball CO2 canisters for carbonation

So I have a Sodastream at home, and I’m thinking about using it to do some quick carbonation on a still wine. I even got the SodaMod, which allows me to use a paintball canister instead of those expensive Sodastream proprietary ones. I’ve heard that paintball canisters are filthy inside, which could affect the flavor of my wine. How do I take the valve off to clean it out? Can I even do that safely on my own?

You can but its not recommended. Paintball CO2 tanks are not dirty inside. You will be safe. If you are worried about a used tank just drop by Walmart and buy a new one.
I used paintball tanks numerous times to carbonate beer in the Tap-A-Draft system and there was never any off flavors or contamination.

This one is brand new from Sports Authority, and I’d heard that the usual dirt and junk from putting them together–oil, the occasional shaving, etc–ended up in the paintball bottles. But if that’s not the case, then I’ll go fill it tomorrow and get started!

They sell conversion kits online to use paintball tanks with beer, and from all the research ive done I could find nothing. The whole oil myth was debunked. Only certain 12 gram co2 cartridges have oil in them to use with BB guns but they actually print that on the cartridge.
Im sure metal shavings wont be a problem. Never once have I heard of anyone having one. They must clean the bottles after they cut the threads because if they didn’t they wouldn’t get a good seal at the threads and it would leak.
I wouldn’t worry about it. Like I said, I used one for a long time and never had a problem.

I use the sports authority paint ball tanks for a kegerator at a vacation home. Never had a problem. Fill them there also. If they were filled with gunk, wouldn’t they clog your gas lines – or your paintball gun?

You were all absolutely right. I got the tank filled at a little paintball shop down in San Jose (two different Sports Authority stores had broken fill equipment), brought it home, hooked it up, and it worked beautifully. Not a single off taste. Thanks for the help!

I’ve also used paintball tanks quite a bit with no issues.

No problem. The more I think about it the more I wish I would have kept my setup. I just gave away my tap-a-draft kit with regulator, force carb kit and tank.
Didn’t think I needed it now that im kegging, but it would have been nice to use to transport beer to friends houses.