Oxygenating problem/question

I was racking from a bucket to a keg yesterday. I did this with two different batches. About 20 seconds into racking the auto siphon starting sucking up air and had a steady stream of bubbles following the beer into the co2 purched kegs. I had to continue since I didnt have another auto siphon. Once finished I noticed the u-cup on the racking cane portion has a deformity that must have happened in the shed over summer. Anyways, I purged the kegs with co2 beforehand and then a few times after sealing them up. These are both light lagers and I was wondering what you guys think the end result of this will be.
Thanks

Ouch… If you drink fast enough, perhaps the O2 won’t affect yer brew…
Now, I’ve not tried this… Mix up a starter and add to yer keg… Maybe a little fermentation will consume the O2? Maybe? It’s worth a try at least to one keg… Then you can compare…
Sneezles61

Well one keg has a good amount of blackberries in it so I’m not as worried about that one.

1 Like

I still think that unless you pump pure O2 into your beer on a homebrew level, it would be unlikely to be a problem. Proceed as normal and don’t worry. OK the pumping O2 might be exaggerated.

1 Like

They look good. I’ll just continue on as usual and lager for a few weeks

I’d plan on drinking them as quickly as possible. A steady stream of bubbles as you rack is bound to cause some level of oxygenation.

I’m hoping they will be fine until thanksgiving

Thats the problem with autosiphons. I use them also but they can sure screw up a batch. Happened to me one time, try as I might I couldn’t get it to stop pulling air in and bubbling. Not a good outcome. Some people use racking canes only as a result.
If it happens again, abort the auto siphon and you can fashion a racking cane out of the inner plastic tube and your regular tubing…

Yeh this was my last bucket batch anyway. Got the new conical so I can just open a valve and gravity will feed the beer into the keg.

Gravity feed… So what replaces the liquid that’s going into the keg? I push my brew out with CO2… Now you’ve got more to process… :joy:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yeh I can hook up co2 to fill the space/push it out as well. Just not sure how necessary that is.

That’s a good question. I would guess the conical placed above will gravity feed into the keg, but would do so faster if pushed with additional CO2.
But…There is already CO2 under pressure in the head space of the conical and that would expand and fill the conical even without augmentation with a CO2 tank…I think?

That’s what I figured

Worst case it’s heavier than air so likely to create a protective blanket on top of the beer as it drains. I don’t know about the “expansion” you infer.

My thinking :thinking: The headspace would hold a small amount of co2 pressure that would expand(but obviously not increase)during the vacuum created by gravity fed flow out the bottom of the conical. in a closed system Such as this not an issue with co2 pushing …I don’t know if a conical without co2 in could do this?

I mean a CO2 tank holds a gazillion pounds of pressure and will expand if allowed, but a conical with an airlock obviously it’s a different situation…hmmmm

Yeh I dont see how it could expand but definitely could acts as a barrier

The 2 gases are very close to each other in weight… IF you were using a spunding valve… I’d believe you have some anti O2 insurance… without… I believe it’s a crap shoot… Therefore, I will use CO2… I want to TRY to eliminate as much as possible…
There… Gave ya my 2 cents worth… ( notice, there aren’t any cent symbols any more)
Sneezles61

1 Like

How could it not expand? Nature abhors a vacuum.

Without pressure… Isn’t most/some gasses not compressed? Thus at equilibrium with our atmospheric pressure?
Sneezles61

I’ve switched to gravity transferring using spigots rather autosyphon and I think it’s made a difference.