Oxy-Clean and Corni Kegs

So I have used Oxy-Clean to clean my kkegs for well over a year and left a keg full of the stuff last night to soak. I just rinsed the keg out and noticed the inside of the keg feels like sandpaper. Gritty! I have scrubbed the sides with a carboy brush and it is not going away. anyone have this happen before? The keg has been sitting for about a week at room temp pressurised and I used one scoop of oxy-clean for the soak. just seems strange. Thanks in advance,

Well I have had that same problem with a couple of corny kegs that I got a while back. I thought it was just from not being clean since I got them and they smelled like wet trash and rotten food. However, it was still there after a two-day soak. It came off pretty easy with a scouring pad though, so…get in there and scrub it off. I don’t know if it was really caused by the oxy though.

Sometimes the cleaner can leave a film. Or it could be beerstone.

You could try an acid cleaner followed by an alkaline clear. Or get out the Barkeeper’s Friend (or any other stainless steel cleaner) and do a good scrubbing with a white scrubby or a stainless steel scrubby.

Good luck.

I have been taking my empty kegs and rinsing them a couple of times, then loading them up with oxyclean and warm water, giving it a good shake and letting it sit for weeks until I’m ready to complete the cleaning (rinse a couple of times) and sanitation with starsan.

Never noticed any kind of buildup / deposits in the keg before…

[quote=“Diesel Tonic”]
Never noticed any kind of buildup / deposits in the keg before…[/quote]

I think it mainly has to do with the mineral levels in your water - some people have a major issue with residue buildup - others have none.

The recommendation for acid wash is a good one - good way to get rid of beerstone as well.

Smearing some full-strength StarSan on it should take care of it.
Wear protective gloves and eyewear.

[quote=“Diesel Tonic”]I have been taking my empty kegs and rinsing them a couple of times, then loading them up with oxyclean and warm water, giving it a good shake and letting it sit for weeks until I’m ready to complete the cleaning (rinse a couple of times) and sanitation with starsan.

Never noticed any kind of buildup / deposits in the keg before…[/quote]

+1 It is not the oxyclean, that is for sure. Maybe if the keg really has pits it could be it was cleaned or sat too long with bleach.

The BrewStrong guys have said that when using both Oxyclean and PBW that you need to rinse with water that is AT LEAST as warm as what you started with if not warmer. Otherwise stuff can precipitate out. Could be what you’re seeing.

Same thing happened to me when I forgot about 2 kegs that I was soaking. They sat about 8 days full of oxy clean and water. I cleaned them up with a scrubby pad and a little elbow grease. Never had that happen with a 24 hour soak.