Oxidation in my bottles

I don’t know I can’t fill my bottles from the keg and get them to hold up. Going to have the get a counterflow filler. How do those differ ?

I have the blichmann beer gun and it kicks ass. You can purge your bottles with CO2 before filling then shoot a little CO2 after and before capping.

Me got one of these counter. Fillers. Me dont use it to much. But indeed firts purge. Co2. Close and fill bottle

I don’t quite follow you brew cat… Your using a picnic tap and a short piece of tubing? You still get O2? I’ve not tried to save/keep bottle brew for a long time…
Sneezles61

Exactly fill from the bottom cap on the foam. Fine for a week or two. Be but that’s it. Notice it on some lagers especially. Not really a broblem with some of the barrel aged stuff since a little oxidation is to style.

1 Like

So this counter fill gun costs…? Does that just simplify all the tinkering of building yourself? I’m not at all hammering on buying a purpose built gizmo… I’m all about building something for the knowledge/experience
Sneezles61

I have a bottle filler stashed away somewhere. Basically some shutoffs and a T. Stick the tube in the bottle, turn on gas to purge the bottle. Turn off gas and beer on until bottle is full and cap. It helps to have the bottles very cold, like freezer and pressure on the keg very low. Then in a couple of weeks the beer is flat anyway. Wasn’t worth the trouble IMHO

What do you mean the beer was flat? I have bottles 2 or 3 yrs old and they are not flat. I could very easily have two wands on picnic taps one on gas one on beer if all those gadgets do is purge and fill. I have no problems filling the bottles with beer I’m just getting an off taste in my lagers after a few weeks and the pales/IPA fade

I usually only bottle from a keg if I’m taking them somewhere, which means I drink them the same day. I’ve never really thought about using a gun, not because I want to build my own, just never needed one. Piece of tubing attached to my keezer tap handle, works just fine for me. But again, never had it sit for 2 weeks

I found the filler to be difficult to use and just gave up on it. I fill plastic seltzer bottles all the time for day use by just sticking them under the tap. They lose a little fizz but for going in the cooler work out nicely. Guess I did exaggerate about how fast the counter filler bottles went flat. I have used a piece of vinyl tubing stuffed in the tap to fill growlers. Helps keep the foam in control.

Exactly my point. I have no problems with foam filling my bottles off the tap or with picnic tap and tube. Just filled a case of pilsner lickety split. The ones off the tap last a couple days because all the beer going in is grabbing O2 the fill from the bottom only the top portion touches oxygen and they last a few weeks. The ones off the tap have to be dumped after a week. The bottom fill ones remain drinkable just not that good. I’m going to try to picnic taps 1 gas for a shot CO2 then fill see how that works. In the meantime I will watch the video on the beer gun

How about and air nozzle adapted to the CO2 tank… Put a foot of brake line on the business end to reach to the bottom of the bottle? Maybe?
Sneezles61

NEIPAs also don’t fare well when bottled. Even some commercial breweries have struggled with oxidation of canned or bottled NEIPAs. That problem is what finally made me see the light :bulb: of kegging. And when I’ve tried to fill a bottle of anything off the keg it is on a fast track to oxidation. Growlers on the other hand do fine for modest intervals.

Filling growlers… “Avoiding unnecessary trips to the keezer”? :joy::beers::mask:
Sneezles61

That’s an interesting observation, growlers you don’t experience oxidation but bottles you do? I wonder what the difference is between the two? I bottle off the tap by just turning down the flow to trickle in and cap on foam but typically it’s one or two to take over to friends to be consumed same day. I did bottle off a keg of Warlock a few years back my buddy and I split and used a bottling gun, but didn’t have much success with it. I think that was more a factor of the keg and bottles not being chilled.

I bottled off an imperial stout and Westy 12 clone about 3 years ago directly from the tap. I put a case of each in the corner of my basement for a year and put the rest in the fridge around Christmas. There was definitely oxidation when I opened up the boxed cases a year later.

:beers:
Rad

Yes, I wonder if it is a surface area to volume problem. I don’t do it often(probably as a result of oxidation) anymore as I’ve “weaned” my friends off of getting a sixer from me of the latest homebrew since I keg 85% of the time.

I’ve got beers that I’ve bottled off the keg with a a Beer Gun that are at least 5 years old. No oxidation at all! It’s easy too. One handed operation. Purge the bottle, fill, purge top, cap.

I’ve heard they work pretty well, and can approach commercial bottling as far as shelf life. Does Olentangy can or bottle yet?

We have a Wild Goose canner being built now. Coming Mid-July!

4 Likes

I would like to see pictures.
As a bottler I now realize that anything close to a NEIPA as far as haze and dry-hop has to be consumed ASAP, that’s what I tell my wife anyway.

4 Likes