Oxiclean

[quote=“Denny”]I found that PBW not only worked better than Oxiclean, but required less rinsing.[/quote]+2 As much as I like Oxiclean as an economical alternative to PBW bought at the LHBS, once I bought a gallon-sized jug of PBW from our bulk buy so that price isn’t really a consideration, I use PBW again on everything, it just works better IME. But if you’re trying to keep costs down, Oxiclean is good.

[quote=“JusPlainBill”]

Love StarSan… but, still use Iodophor for some things.[/quote]

When do you use one over the other? My friend who started me on homebrewing uses Iodophor so I have just stuck with it.

I think one of the Brewing Network podcasts covered Oxyclean. One of the few things I recall from that is that Oxy needs a surfactant as well. So I always use about 1/2-1/4 scoop of Oxy with regular dish soap. I noticed some bottles were getting some white crud on the them, which was from the Oxyclean. A soak in Star San takes care of that.

It is simply not possible for Oxi by itself to do the job of PBW. The actual “replacement recipe” calls for a 4:1 ratio of Oxi to TSP. Wait wait I am an environmental chemist with 20 years in cleaning up some truly bad messes. at the rate you are going to use TSP and if you willl just dump it in your yard. Unless you are doing this right next to a water body you should have no problems. It will be eaten by the vegetation long before it is a problem. It nutrient powers were the source of the problem when it was going down the drain and hitting rivers and lakes. It this rate and usage it will not be a problem.

Barry

I got the white crud on bottles several years ago. Switching to a different brand took care of it.

Once you’re committed to buying in bulk, get some CMC. It will blow your freaking mind.

[quote=“a10t2”]Once you’re committed to buying in bulk, get some CMC. It will blow your freaking mind.[/quote]Does it really clean crud with only five minutes of contact?

That’s a conservative estimate. :wink:

[quote=“a10t2”][quote=“Shadetree”]Does it really clean crud with only five minutes of contact?[/quote]That’s a conservative estimate. :wink: [/quote]How long can you soak a keg in it before the chlorine damages the stainless? Or do you always soak and rinse within a couple of minutes?

My understanding is that several hours of contact time isn’t an issue. I’ve certainly left miscellaneous stainless parts soaking in it overnight on many occasions without any visible pitting or contact roughness. I’m careful to passivate my stainless parts when I get them in, so that may play a role. Still, I have some pieces that have cumulative contact times of several days and don’t seem any worse for the wear.

Guess I’ll try an 8-lb jug of CMC on the next bulk buy - would be great to have something to use on kegs that works faster than PBW!

I’ve been using dawn with bleach alt and tlbs or two of washing soda so far no problems and cleans labels better than straight oxy

I’m on mobile web all week…can you give a link?

cmc?

[quote=“ScubaBrew”]CMC?[/quote]Chlorinated Manual Cleaner, from 5-Star.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-con ... C1Tech.pdf

I just bought some Oxiclean Free and was looking for advice on how much to use. I had been using
Oxygen Brewery wash, but the cost is prohibitive, any idea if the same number of the same size scoop per gallon is correct?

Thanks in advance~
Chewey :cheers:

[quote=“chewey”]I just bought some Oxiclean Free and was looking for advice on how much to use. I had been using
Oxygen Brewery wash, but the cost is prohibitive, any idea if the same number of the same size scoop per gallon is correct?

Thanks in advance~
Chewey :cheers: [/quote]

With Oxiclean, I use about 3 Tbsp. for 7 gal. in hot water.

[quote=“Vulkin’”]It is simply not possible for Oxi by itself to do the job of PBW. The actual “replacement recipe” calls for a 4:1 ratio of Oxi to TSP. Wait wait I am an environmental chemist with 20 years in cleaning up some truly bad messes. at the rate you are going to use TSP and if you willl just dump it in your yard. Unless you are doing this right next to a water body you should have no problems. It will be eaten by the vegetation long before it is a problem. It nutrient powers were the source of the problem when it was going down the drain and hitting rivers and lakes. It this rate and usage it will not be a problem.

Barry[/quote]
Thanks for the ratio info…I,ve been using equal ammounts of each… :cheers: Tank

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“chewey”]I just bought some Oxiclean Free and was looking for advice on how much to use. I had been using

Thanks in advance~
Chewey :cheers: [/quote]

With Oxiclean, I use about 3 Tbsp. for 7 gal. in hot water.[/quote]
OK so if you added either washing soda and or tsp would you use 3 TBSP of the mixture to 7 gallons or would you do this differently if wanting to get close to PBW?