Outdoor Brewing in the cold

82* forecast high this weekend! Cape Canaveral/ Cocoa Beach. I’m doing an Audubon Christmas Bird count tomorrow in shorts and sandals!

1 Like

That’s my favorite area on the east coast of FL…ex had family in Cocoa…I spent most of 2013 in Lake County FL…in december I was still in shorts but would wear a long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt on the cool mornings…cracked me up to see kids waiting for the bus in coats, hats and gloves when it was 55F

1 Like

Haha same thing here. My wife. Says the brewing smells nasty. Guess will brew this weekend. Nice weather. Hope around 4 not so hot anymore. Today around. 110 pfff. Time to cool down with a dip in the pool a cold brew

I temporarily hate you… :laughing:

2 Likes

Old dawgs move to Florida, and lay in the sun, except in the summer, when they go inside and brew in the air conditioning.
ZZZZZZZZZ

2 Likes

I’ll bet thats the best dawg house… er down there.! Sneezles61

I do enjoy watching birds… I could sit fer hours, looking out the patio door sipping brew watching the birds… AAWW winter! Sneezles61

1 Like

…while cooking up a nice extract or partial mash.

1 Like

Definitely don’t leave the lid on! Winter or summer. Boiling uncovered helps to drive off DMS and other compounds. I guess you could leave it half-covered if you need to maintain boil.

I started doing all grain this summer. I live in Milwaukee and due to a warm fall I haven’t yet brewed under winter conditions. It’s -8 F right now, so I think that counts! Winter brewing means brewing in my detached garage which has some extra logistical issues such as hauling everything to and from the detached garage instead of just outside the back door. One question I have is how much extra propane do you use? I’m looking for a ballpark figure, like single digit temperatures take twice the propane or not much difference at all?

I never really thought it took that much more propane for a brew especially doing all grain since your not boiling from cold water and hopefully your out of the wind

I’ve never really noticed any increase in propane use. It might take a little longer to get things heated up if there’s some wind. But only by a few minutes.

If you gots a big propane burner it won’t matter much, you’ll burn quite a bit… On the other hand, if you gots a sipper, well, it takes longer and sips more propane… Easy peasy, eh? Sneezles61

That’s one problem solved. Next problem is from the poor planning department. My garden hose, used for the immersion chiller, is full of ice and frozen to the ground under a foot of snow! :confounded:

If you have a foot of snow I think your chilling issues should be easily resolved as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I suppose the local hardware store threw out hoses fer shovels! Sneezles61

I’m in coastal New Jersey where it can get a bit chilly. I brew in the garage with the door closed. I use an all electric Grainfather so have no exhaust issues. The kettle has a thick insulation jacket installed. No problems reaching boiling, even on the coldest day.