Oud Bruin re-pitch on Roeselare cake?

Greetings all,

Our brewhouse is wondering if we, in order to make an Oud Bruin, could pitch the Oud Bruin wort directly onto a used lambic Roeselare blend yeastcake previously used for a Flanders Red Ale? Dawson did something similar to this in a Brewing TV episode, and given that we live abroad and liquid yeast is very hard to transfer and come by, we’re wondering if this could be a clever solution.

We are aware that we can’t culture this blend for ourselves given that the balance of yeast strains and bacteria would become imbalanced in future generations.

Cheers for the input.

You can. What I am planning on doing with my Roselare cake is to start the 2nd beer with a conventional ale strain and then repitch the Roselare after primary fermentation has begun. See, over time, the bacteria and wild yeast will grow out of balance in the Roselare cake, but by pitching the Saccaromyces first and giving it a chance to grow, my hope is to counteract that imbalance. Will it work? I’ll let you know in 2 years!

I plan on doing something similar with my Roeselare yeast cake so I say go for it.

On a second pitch, I would be a little concerned with it getting too sour for an Oud Bruin. I would start sampling early to keep a taste bud on it.

THats not what they mean pitching regular sach is not going to counter the bugs.
Good to pitch ach just so you know you will get a good strong ferment but it is not going to tame the bugs down

[quote=“grainbelt”]
THats not what they mean pitching regular sach is not going to counter the bugs.
Good to pitch ach just so you know you will get a good strong ferment but it is not going to tame the bugs down[/quote]

I think he meant by pitching a Sacc strain first and letting it ferment for a couple of days then pitching the Roeselare cake gives a less sour beer than just pitching the Roeselare cake.

Ive got a Roeselare cake on its 3rd use now and its a funky beast. For a Flanders Red or Brown I would have to pitch a bit of fresh sacc.

[quote=“BRANDON”][quote=“grainbelt”]
Good to pitch ach just so you know you will get a good strong ferment but it is not going to tame the bugs down[/quote]

I think he meant by pitching a Sacc strain first and letting it ferment for a couple of days then pitching the Roeselare cake gives a less sour beer than just pitching the Roeselare cake.

Ive got a Roeselare cake on its 3rd use now and its a funky beast. For a Flanders Red or Brown I would have to pitch a bit of fresh sacc.[/quote]

it might, a little but if it is a 2 or 3 or 4th gen who knows what your going to get. I would just pitch sach with the bugs and taste as it goes down its process. Blend if you need to.
Pitching sach for other gen sours is to get a good strong ferment not as much to tame down the bugs