Original gravity and stupid me

Honesty time… I have no idea what I’m doing. I don’t know how what my original gravity reading tell me or how to tell ABV.
I just bottled an imperial red rye ale and realized I never did anything with the OG reading, so I don’t know if it was actually ready… Dumb, I know.
The recipe I followed said it was supposed to be SG: 1.080-1.084 FG: 1.018-1.022.
I don’t know what SG or FG means…?

I attached a picture of my reading.

Help.

How do I read this?
I did a caribou slobber and it gave me an almost identical reading.

Again, help… And thanks!

SG = Specific gravity (simply put, a measurement of the amount of sugars in the wort)

OG = Original gravity (specific gravity measurement taken after the wort has been boiled and cooled, but before fermentation has started)

FG = Final gravity (specific gravity measurement taken after fermentation has completed)

ABV can be calculated by finding the difference between OG and FG. You can use an online calculator to calculate ABV if you have these values.

Be sure to correct your hydrometer readings for temperature of the sample. For example, in the photo it appears that your reading is 1.022. If your hydrometer is calibrated at 60°F (which is typical) and the sample temp is between 66-73°F, the actual reading would be 1.023.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]SG = Specific gravity (simply put, a measurement of the amount of sugars in the wort)

OG = Original gravity (specific gravity measurement taken after the wort has been boiled and cooled, but before fermentation has started)

FG = Final gravity (specific gravity measurement taken after fermentation has completed)

ABV can be calculated by finding the difference between OG and FG. You can use an online calculator to calculate ABV if you have these values.

Be sure to correct your hydrometer readings for temperature of the sample. For example, in the photo it appears that your reading is 1.022. If your hydrometer is calibrated at 60°F (which is typical) and the sample temp is between 66-73°F, the actual reading would be 1.023.[/quote]

Yep. You’re fine, especially if this was an extract brew, where FG can sometimes run just a little higher. That’s a big beer, and seems likely to be fermented out, which is what you’d want to know before bottling (so the priming sugar you use is the only sugar fermented inside the bottle).

[quote=“Shark”]Honesty time… I have no idea what I’m doing. I don’t know how what my original gravity reading tell me or how to tell ABV.
I just bottled an imperial red rye ale and realized I never did anything with the OG reading, so I don’t know if it was actually ready… Dumb, I know.
The recipe I followed said it was supposed to be SG: 1.080-1.084 FG: 1.018-1.022.
I don’t know what SG or FG means…?

I attached a picture of my reading.

Help.

How do I read this?
I did a caribou slobber and it gave me an almost identical reading.

Again, help… And thanks![/quote]
Here is a link that explains the hydrometer and includes the temperature conversion chart.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Palmer is pretty well known for accurate information. This is his free on line book. Other editions have been published. It would be a good book to buy alnog with “The Joy Of Homewbrewing”.
In the meantime come back here to ask questions.

Thanks for the answers and help