Ordering wyeast in summer?

I need to order wyeast 3522. How well do this smack packs last during shipping? I live in Georgia and travel time looks like 3-4 days.

I plan on doing a starter but I have never used wyeast and I need a high temp Belgian yeast for my next brew.

You’re probably fine, if you do a starter, but I would still look for a closer source.

If you order from Northern Brewer, place your order before 2:00 PM on a Sunday. The yeast will probably go out early Monday morning. A cool pack with the yeast may be counter productive. Once the cool pack warms, it will absorb and hold heat just as well as it once stayed cool.

Just this weekend I brewed a Hefe with wyeast 3068 from NB. I did as Flars recommended, ordered sunday, package arrived thursday evening after shipping out on tuesday. My package was pretty warm, but probably not too warm to damage the yeast. I made a 1 litre starter. Pitched yeast Saturday around 8 pm and activity had started before morning, so all seems well. My yeast was also VERY fresh, dated June 10. (last time my liquid yeast was over 2 months old). I’m in Chattanooga, so your ship time should be very similar to mine.

Those cold packs probably don’t last more than a day in the summer heat, so it’s still a crapshoot. My package was a large cardboard box with 3 all grain kits, and there was no difference between the temp inside the box and inside the packet with the yeast(I’m gonna guess it was probably in the high 90’s). Package of yeast was not swollen though. I guess if you can’t find it local, it’s worth a shot. For me it was–so far I haven’t found a dry yeast that comes close to 3068.

Good luck,

Ron

[quote=“Furious brew styles”]I need to order wyeast 3522. How well do this smack packs last during shipping? I live in Georgia and travel time looks like 3-4 days.
[/quote]

Where in Georgia? There’s got to be someplace closer than 3-4 shipping days away.