Orange Beer

My wife is really into Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, so I’m looking for recipe suggestions. I’m considering an American wheat, but also a lager or pilsner to add orange to. What I’m having problems finding is how much/what time to add orange/tangerine/mandarin or whatever.

I tried to make a clone to Buffalo Bill’s Orange Blossom Ale a couple times and just coudnt get the flavor profile I wanted. I tried orange extract with sweet orage peel zest for flavor and orange blossom water for aroma. It definitely gave an orange flavor profile and may work better in a wheat beer.

I love orange blossom ale. It was the first orange beer I ever had. I got some from some people who’s house I was working in, who own orange groves in Riverside and Arvin, CA. Afterwards, we discovered tangerine wheat and others. Nothing compares to your first, and orange blossom can be hard to find sometimes.

Have you looked at the book Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher? He goes into detail on how to work with nearly all fruits and spices so I bet it would be helpful to you.

Books? What are those? Oh, yeah! Those big fat paper thingys that have blogs in them! I almost forgot!

Mostly when I formulate a recipe, I look at all the online resources and then adjust to my taste. It seems that not too many people post orange ale recipes (with the exception of belgian wits). Actually I forgot that I have a few books with recipes in them, but I’m trying to find out what you guys do.

Use orange zest and also consider cheating with some coriander – it tastes a lot like orange. These are some of the essences that give the Belgian witbiers (white ales) their characteristic orangey flavor. Look up some witbier recipes and you should get a very good idea of how much to use and when to add it – personally I’ve tried in the boil as well as in the secondary, and both methods will work fine but might give slightly different characteristics.

I made NB’s Honey Weizen and added fresh orange zest, coriander and cardamom with 15min left in the boil. I used the zest from 3 medium organic oranges. Some orange flavor came through, but it could have used more. All depends on your taste I guess. I’m brewing it again this weekend and am thinking of adding 1/2 the zest to the boil and the other 1/2 to secondary.

I’ve been toying with the idea of just brewing NB’s american wheat and adding the zest from 4 oranges with 15 mins left of boil and adding the squeezed juice to the primary. This is only my 4th attempt ( first 2 were disasters) and the 3rd is in secondary as we speak.

Could try this, with a different yeast strain to make it more of a basic ale flavor instead of the heff taste

:cheers:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/ho ... n#fbIndex2

i made that recipe and by god, it was the most popular beer i’ve done.

Extract Recipe

Beer Style: Hefeweizen with blood orange flavoring
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
Bitterness: 17 IBU
Boiling Time: 65 minutes
Color: 12 SRM
Alcohol: 4.8% ABV

Ingredients
6.6 lbs. Light Liquid Wheat Malt Extract
4 medium size blood oranges
0.5 oz. Hallertau Hop Pellets (4.5% AA) boiled 60 minutes
1 oz. Saaz Hop Pellet (4.3% AA) boiled 20 minutes
0.5 oz. Hallertau Hop Pellets (4.5% AA) boiled 10 minutes
Wyeast 3068 or 3638 or White Labs WLP 300 or 380

Directions
Boil and add hop additions according to the schedule above. Peel the blood oranges and separate sections of fruit. Discard half the peels. Cut the remainder of peels and fruit sections into small pieces. Use a grater as you only want part of the rind. The white will add extreme bitterness. Heat fruit and peels in a half gallon of water to 160F and then turn off heat. Let the fruit steep as it cools. Cool the wort and steeping fruit to 70-75F and add to fermenter.

Fermentation
Pitch your yeast and fermet for about 10 days at 70-75F.

Read more: Blood Orange Hefeweizen - Beer Recipes - Popular Mechanics

The easiest way I found to get a nice orange flavor is to add 6oz by wt of orange juice concentrate to keg.

I know this is about orange beers but how would a lemon wheat go over? This is only my 4th attempt so the creative juices aren’t flowing yet. I planned on getting NBs american wheat, swapping the hops for hallertau and adding the zest from 2 lemons to the wort with 15mins left of boil?