Oktoberfest Beer

I have been thinking of making an Oktoberfest for this upcoming fall. I was wondering if anyone has come across a tasty recipe for one. I know that our host has a single recipe, I don’t know how good it is, but if someone else has a better recipe I would like to know (having said this, i haven’t had any bad recipes from NB).

BTW, i am not doing all grain yet, but if you have an all grain you want to share with others then feel free too, just don’t forget about me.

When I did mine, the grain bill was just munich malt for 1.056 OG.
Did a FWH of Hallertauer and another shot of Hallertauer for 60 minutes for estimated 25-26 IBUs.
I think the FG was around 1.018. Its tasty, wish I had more bottles left.

I’ve also been thinking about doing an Oktoberfest, but don’t have the means to conveniently lager. Any ale yeast strains that would approximate the style closely enough to make it worth the effort?

I made the NB AG Oktoberfest back in March when my basement beer room was 50*, lagered and conditioned it and have only had a 7 oz sample, it’s tasty plan on tapping the 15th of September. This beer is smooth and clear can’t hardly wait to pull a full liter.

IME the kits from NB are hard to beat. Might be a little late for O-fest though.

I’ve had good results with both US-05 and WY1007 fermented around 60 or even a bit cooler to make a “Mocktoberfest”. I generally make one each summer to have in the fall and then make the real thing during the winter when my basement is good and cold.

[quote=“mainemike68”]I made the NB AG Oktoberfest back in March when my basement beer room was 50*, lagered and conditioned it and have only had a 7 oz sample, it’s tasty plan on tapping the 15th of September. This beer is smooth and clear can’t hardly wait to pull a full liter.

IME the kits from NB are hard to beat. Might be a little late for O-fest though.[/quote]
Mainemike, I assume mean that it is a bit late to start a batch? I was thinking I was ok as I thought that the kits say two months, but i could be wrong. FWIW, I am kegging so i don’t have to wait for bottled beer to be ready.

My favorite Ofest recipe is by far Northern Brewer’s. I’ve done about four different recipes myself and tasted MANY commercial examples.

Here is the one I just did. going to d rest this weekend and then start lagering it early/mid next week.

Oktoberfest
Oktoberfest/Marzen

Recipe Specs

Batch Size (G): 5.3
Total Grain (lb): 10.500
Total Hops (oz): 2.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 10.7 (EBC): 21.1
Bitterness (IBU): 22.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill

5.000 lb Munich I (47.62%)
4.500 lb Pilsner (42.86%)
0.500 lb Aromatic Malt (4.76%)
0.500 lb Caramunich I (4.76%)

Hop Bill

1.00 oz Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Tettnanger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 50°F with Saflager W-34/70