OG correction

Well, I screwed up when I took my OG reading. I forgot to top off to 5 gallons before I took the reading. I have since added added another gallon, but I’ve also added my yeast.

Can I use averages to compute the OG based on my initial reading, the volume when read and the volume of water added?

Thanks,

Tony

Use gravity units (GU) to figure out your new gravity. Gravity units are the two units on the far right, so for example 1.055 equates to 55 GU. From here, multiply GU times volume in gallons, then divide by the original gallons plus one. So again for example, if you started with 4 gallons and ended up with 5 gallons, the math would be 55 x 4 / 5 = 44. So then change back to specific gravity by putting 1.0 in front, so then you’d get 1.044. Simple as that.

Here is my original reading. High gravity. Wootstout.

I really think there is something wrong with my reading (or my beer). Am I correct in reading that scale as 1.16? Even diluting with another gallon of water, that would only take me down to around 1.128.

Wootstout OG is supposed to be around 1.108.

We’ll see how she rolls…

Tony

Your reading appears to be correct, in which case… DAMN, that’s a thick syrupy wort!!! Consider adding a lot more water to bring it down. Otherwise you could be drinking something thick like cough syrup at the end of all this, or your yeast might die from all the high alcohol!!!

I’m wondering if my sample is just not a good representative sample. I did have quite a bit of “sludge” clinging to the hydrometer, which may have increased the buoyancy of it. I had also suspected the calibration, but it checks out fine.

When the fermentation slows down, I’m going to take another reading. I need to get a different thief, because this one uses a spring-loaded plunger and won’t reach the bottom of the 6 gal carboy.

I know the sugars are high in this recipe. This is also the first one I’ve done where I’ve added 6# of malt for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

It’s gonna be interesting for sure. This stuff smelled like brownie batter after the chocolate liquor was added (at the end of the boil).

I just re-read your statement here. I’m guessing I should be taking another reading sooner rather than later to see if I need to add water…

Tony

Are you already over 5 gallons?

I would add more. Just my thoughts. I’ve done an extract that turned out real syrup like. Had lots of later additions, like oranges at flameout and some clover honey towards the end of the boil.

ABV was pretty high, something like 8.5% or so. Even when it was done and fermentation was complete, the beer was still pretty thick and sticky. A little more water probably would have made it better. The taste was good, don’t get me wrong, but I had a wicked headache the next day after drinking almost a full growler :slight_smile:

[quote=“Templar”]Are you already over 5 gallons?

I would add more. Just my thoughts. I’ve done an extract that turned out real syrup like. Had lots of later additions, like oranges at flameout and some clover honey towards the end of the boil.

ABV was pretty high, something like 8.5% or so. Even when it was done and fermentation was complete, the beer was still pretty thick and sticky. A little more water probably would have made it better. The taste was good, don’t get me wrong, but I had a wicked headache the next day after drinking almost a full growler :slight_smile: [/quote]

Take a look at the wootstout specs. This has a target of 13.5%. :slight_smile: Even at that, my OG is way high.

I’ve added 1 gal of water since I took the reading. I’m close to 5 gallons. I think I have room for more.

Tony

Ok. This reading is better. After 1 day in the primary: