O.G of 1090

I was making an attempt at making a GL Christmas Ale clone and my O.G. came out to 1090!!! I have not made a beer that had that kind of O.G. so I’m not sure what to think.

The beer is REALLY THICK but smells amazing with the honey, ginger and cinnamon.

I guess I wanted to see what you guys thought about the O.G. and is it normal for a beer to look thick? There is about 2 inch of sludge in the bottom of the primary.

Thanks in advance!
J

can you post the recipe? The viscosity could be from adjuncts, etc. What OG were you aiming for? Extract/AG?

This could be from a few things. Did you top off with water? If so there is a really really good chance that it didnt get mixed well enough causing your hydrometer to give a bad reading. If you didn’t top off how many gallons was your final volume? Also you might want to check your hydrometers accuracy with water.

One more question what was the OG supposed to be?

I googled a clone and it was supposed to coem in at 1.075. If your beer is indeed stirred well then it is a little high but not completely out of range. I’d certainly try and keep my fermentation temps controlled, the hardest part of fermenting a big beer is keeping it from going too fast early, and from stalling out later. So you start in a swamp cooler with ice bottles, and when it passes the peak of activity you puill it out and let it warm up.

Good luck. I’m not big on spiced beers myself, I’ve brewed them several times but then I don’t drink them and nobody else seems to ask for them either.

:lol: Seems spiced beer is a love hate thing. I don’t mind a spiced beer but you have to be careful as often a little spice goes a LONG way.

:lol: Seems spiced beer is a love hate thing. I don’t mind a spiced beer but you have to be careful as often a little spice goes a LONG way.[/quote]
Even if you love them it can be a bit polarizing. I’ve seen near fights about Mad Elf versus Rude Elf. (Two Greater Philly area brewerys) Very similar names but different beers. Many love one and HATE the other.