Nothernator Dopplebock with extra hops

I’m brewing a batch of Northernator Dopplebock tomorrow. I know this is not supposed to be a hoppy beer. But I have these nice cascade hops growing in my backyard, and I always like to use them in a brew, at least once a year. I’m probably not going to have time to brew anything besides this dopplebock, in the near future. So…thoughts on adding fresh hops this dopplebock? I realize that “don’t do it” might be the most popular answer. Feel free to flood me with reasons not to. But if I DO end up doing it, I wonder at what point in the boil would make the most sense, or dry hop?

1 Like

Welcome back first of all!!
I just wonder how much the wet green petals will contribute to a “grassy” aroma? Maybe make a tea with some before brewing to see what it does? Steep some short and boil some for a long time and see…
How big a doppelbock?
Sneezles61

I did say “fresh,” but they are dried out. But yeah I don’t know how much of a hoppy aroma, grassy or otherwise, I want to infiltrate that dopplebock (it’s estimated at around 9%). Thanks for the tea suggestion. Ultimately, maybe the hops will have to sit out this year’s brewing.

1 Like

Wort is sweet and the hops are bitter… adding the two together either makes it less sweet or too heavy hand, kinda bitter… The dark malt will be prominent… so you are trying to… make it sweet or bitter… That’s the long boiled hops…
the short boiled, even tossed in during the chilling will give you some aroma… Cascades have a citrus, even close to a grapefruit aroma… not a high alpha acid…. I’d try 2 oz to the boil… even up to 3 oz…
IF you would want some aroma… I’d put another 2 oz into the fermenter just as it’s about done fermenting… but that might make for a confusing doppelbock…
Do what you feel you are looking for and tell us how yer brew turns out… might not be prime until next year…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Although not ‘true to style’ you could add some late in the boil for some aroma.