Northern Brewer Maris Otter malt syrup expiration

I just bottled a batch of the John Palmer’s Elevenses, split and added espresso to one half. Uncarbonated it all tastes pretty yummy. i want to order another kit to brew later in the year since it is on sale, but my question is how long will the Northern Brewer Maris Otter malt syrup last? Does it have an expiration date? Thanks.

malt syrup slowly goes bad, it is best to use fresh. They have sales all the time or the couple bucks you are saving for a batch of beer, I would just by fresh.

Thank you. I guess I’ll wait and brew something else in the meantime.

How long are you looking at storing the kit? 3-6 months you are probably fine. It’s been a number of years sense I bought an extract kit. Are the jugs filled to the top, so there is little to no oxygen in them?

Just guessing, some of the kits are on the shelf at the store for several months before they are purchased.

If possible, store the ingredients in a refrigerator or freezer until you get around to using them.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]How long are you looking at storing the kit? 3-6 months you are probably fine. It’s been a number of years sense I bought an extract kit. Are the jugs filled to the top, so there is little to no oxygen in them?

Just guessing, some of the kits are on the shelf at the store for several months before they are purchased.

If possible, store the ingredients in a refrigerator or freezer until you get around to using them.[/quote]

There is pretty fast turnover rate with larger places like NB, midwest etc… YMMV with a local homebrew shop. If you know a place has good turnover your better buying fresh than storing at your place

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Nighthawk”]How long are you looking at storing the kit? 3-6 months you are probably fine. It’s been a number of years sense I bought an extract kit. Are the jugs filled to the top, so there is little to no oxygen in them?

If possible, store the ingredients in a refrigerator or freezer until you get around to using them.[/quote]

There is pretty fast turnover rate with larger places like NB, midwest etc… YMMV with a local homebrew shop. If you know a place has good turnover your better buying fresh than storing at your place[/quote]

Do you buy in bulk and store at your place or do you buy individually for each brewday?

We may be surprised how old the LME is when NB/MW gets it. :wink:

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Nighthawk”]How long are you looking at storing the kit? 3-6 months you are probably fine. It’s been a number of years sense I bought an extract kit. Are the jugs filled to the top, so there is little to no oxygen in them?

There is pretty fast turnover rate with larger places like NB, midwest etc… YMMV with a local homebrew shop. If you know a place has good turnover your better buying fresh than storing at your place[/quote]

Do you buy in bulk and store at your place or do you buy individually for each brewday?

We may be surprised how old the LME is when NB/MW gets it. :wink: [/quote]

I dont use much extract anymore, if I do I buy DME. I live 15 mintues between each NB store and midwest is within 5 minutes of one of the NB locations. Talked to both of them about it years ago when I started extract. It is pretty fresh and a very good turn over rate. With them being under the same owner now not sure how they are handling that.

Thanks for the non answer.

I do not use extract anymore…that seems to be an answer.
I use DME for starters and that’s it.

The question is do you buy in bulk or individually?

The employee making $7.50 can tell you anything that you want to hear. How old is the LME/DME/grain/hops before NB/MW/MB/AHBS… gets it. We may be surprised things are not as “fresh” as we think they are. Just because it’s on the shelf at the store for less than 1 month doesn’t mean it’s fresh.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]The question is do you buy in bulk or individually?

The employee making $7.50 can tell you anything that you want to hear. How old is the LME/DME/grain/hops before NB/MW/MB/AHBS… gets it. We may be surprised things are not as “fresh” as we think they are. Just because it’s on the shelf at the store for less than 1 month doesn’t mean it’s fresh.[/quote]

oh yeah I forgot places like BSG are just making one huge batch of extract and letting it sit forever…jesus do you just look for confrontations?

You don’t need to be obtuse with your responses when you disagree with someone. :wink:

nope, NB has classes all the time and guest speaker in the area from Rahr and BSG. Some people that worked for northern brewer now work for BSG which is owned by Rahr. Simple questions to these people give me the info I am talking about.