Noob using liquid yeast

Only on my third batch, Octoberfest this time. Didn’t realize I was ordering a liquid yeast. Ordered on 8/27, delivered on a hot Kansas summer day 9/3. I got it into the fridge right away, and today was brew day. Four hours in, I’m seeing zero activity, in both the air lock and the fermenter. Assuming the status quo tomorrow morning, can I add a different yeast or is my batch done for?

Thanks in advance.

You can definitely add more yeast. Which variety of liquid did you get? Oktoberfest is a generally a lager and requires cooler temperatures for fermenting.

I used the Omega Yeast Oktoberfest. Are you saying the yeast might have been ok, but the temp is too warm for it to ferment? I don’t really have a particularly cool place to ferment at right now. Probably should have saved this one for winter, but hopefully I can salvage something drinkable. I know I can get a German lager yeast at a store nearby.

As a noob and without any type of fermentation control I personally would avoid the lager strains. Look into moktoberfest beers. Same wort production but you use an ale strain instead of lager. Lagers are typically fermented around 50 degrees or so Fahrenheit and then “lagered” for about a month at a near freezing temperature whilst ale yeast is happy in the 60s and low 70s depending on the strain. What temperature is your fermenter at right now?

2 Likes

The omega oktoberfest says 46 to 58 degrees on their website.

Also check out “swamp cooler”… Sneezles61

2 Likes

4-12 hours of no activity is pretty common. Lager yeasts are slower because of the cooler temps.
if you cannot maintain lager temp i would repitch with an ale yeast

2 Likes

Sometimes there is a delay in yeast. Before it starts. But with lagers. The fermenting temp. Lower than with ales. You can repitch. And keep your fermentor temp under control. Simple way a swamp cooler. Or a wet towel with a small fan. I use sometimes a ice water bucket. Aka swampcooler. Put 2 ice jugs in the morning. And 2 at night. For the first 7 days.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Of course, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by reading the directions thoroughly before starting, in which case I would have waited until cooler weather for this batch. There was a small bit of activity going on this morning, so I decided to hold steady with where I am, but my rec room fridge is too small to hold the 6.5 gallon fermenter. Luckily for me, the wife attended a bachelorette party last night, so her late slumber allowed me to make room in the garage fridge. Pray for my soul when she finds out. I put it on the highest setting and will check the temp later. Once I transfer to the secondary fermenter, it should fit back in the small fridge where I can slowly lower the temp as the recipe instructs.

Wish me luck and thanks again.

By the way, is it “fermentor” Sovereign™ Stainless Steel Fermenter 8.4 Gallon

or “fermenter” Grainfather Conical Fermenter - Pro Edition

Even Northern Brewer can’t seem to decide.

1 Like

what temperature are you at?

Using an infrared thermometer, I’m getting low 40s inside the fridge, so I adjusted it to the highest setting to see if it won’t get closer to 50s. The beer itself is still showing high 60s, but we’re only three hours into its new environment. Definately more activity in the airlock and krausen starting to form. I’ll check again after I get back from watching some football.

2 Likes

What’s the temp now? Fermentor is the name of their product. At least you are pretty level headed for a new brewer.

1 Like

I tried to click on the sovereign fermenter paypal and get you one… But it wanted me to pay for it… That is very similar to what I use as a fermentor…
I’d bet you could use the lid for a dobro resonator :hugs: Sneezles61

Sorry I didn’t make it back on last night, but there’s no sense brewing if you’re not going to imbibe. As of 7:30am, it’s at 51 now.

2 Likes

Been reading up on making lager, here and elsewhere. Do any of you typically use a yeast starter when making lagers?

Most definitely use starters

1 Like

Absolutely… Since at colder temps, the yeast aren’t as active… It takes a bit longer to get rolling along… More yeast cells will accomplish what what less yeast and warmer temps do. Sneezles61