Noob Question

Hello all. Brewing my first batch Caribou Slobber Partial extract. Just wanted to know if I done right. First all everything is going just as plan and on course, I hope. Vibrant fermintation began in 6hrs of pitching and steady in 7 days @ 68F, Windsor dry yeast. I made a decision on day 8 to do a SG test and read 1.019. Which I thought was decent. Excellent flavor and aromas (flat of course but very good, perhaps excellent). I will not be doing a secondary so will stay in primary 2.5 weeks before bottling. My question is. 1) Would I really need to do another SG test before bottling as the Slobber final is expected to be around 1.016 FG and really dont want to risk infection by exposing another time?

Thank you kindly

Congrats on your new baby! Fyi SG stands for Starting Gravity (which would be just before you pitch your yeast) You are looking for FG final gravity and every other reading is a Gravity reading. I would take it but that’s me. I’m sure you will be fine as long as your using good sanitation and you let it ferment for at least a week before bottling/kegging.

Edit…I ment 2 weeks not a week

I always thought:

SG = Specific Gravity. The current gravity.

OG = Original Gravity. The beginning gravity.

FG = Final Gravity. The ending gravity.

It wouldn’t be necessary to take another reading. But it wouldn’t hurt to take a sample before adding the bottling sugar.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I always thought:

It wouldn’t be necessary to take another reading. But it wouldn’t hurt to take a sample before adding the bottling sugar.[/quote]
Yeah I guess you could look at it that way too. I dont know I had about 4 pints of my peanut butter stout and half a dozen of my Great pumkin beer when I wrote that. lol

It wouldn’t be necessary to take another reading. But it wouldn’t hurt to take a sample before adding the bottling sugar.[/quote]

Thank you for the reply’s. These are my abbreviation I refer to also. SG being Specific Gravity at any given time. OG Original Gravity (Starting gravity). Gravity, what a strange word, its been said it sucks. :slight_smile:

That’s correct. Hydrometers and refractometers even have SG written on the Specific Gravity marks.
I’ve seen TG=Terminal Gravity=FG