No yeast activity after 45 hours

I received the sweet mead kit as a Xmas present. Everything seemed to go Ok, must prepared and at below 80F, packet of yeast (Wyeast 4184), smacked and inflated pouch, added to must, mixture stirred to areate, but at +45 hours, no CO2 bubbles making their way through fermentation lock. Do I panic, and go to local grocery store here in “LA” (lower Alabama), purchase bread making yeast, hydrate and add tomorrow morning or wait for Wyeast 4184 to do its thing? Fermenter kept at 68F. HELP!

The general consensus is that airlock bubbling is a poor representation of fermentation for a number of reasons. Wait for the yeast to do it’s thing. Take a gravity reading in about 2 weeks.

I’m primarily beer brewer, but I’ve dabbled in wines, ciders, and even have a batch of mead going (admittedly, the mead is showing less than stellar results).

If I had to guess, I’d say that you do have fermentation, you just don’t have airlock activity. The fact that the smack pack inflated is sign that you started with live yeast. As long as you didn’t kill them by pitching into hot must, or freeze them out (like, freeze solid), you should have activity in your fermenter. If you’re using a bucket, press down on the lid, and see if the airlock bubbles easily (if not, you may not have an airtight seal). Also, take a whiff of the air that comes through the airlock; if it smells like fermentation (in the case of mead, sulphur is okay, too – although, if you have a sulphur smell, you probably need to add some yeast nutrients), you’re okay.

CB is right that airlock activity is an unreliable indicator of fermentation, but you want to make sure that you actually do have fermentation, or you’ll end up with bacteria if you let it sit too long. My understanding is that honey is pretty resistant to infection (which makes sense, since that little honey bear in my pantry is about two years old, and there isn’t anything growing in it), but I know that meads can get infected, so you don’t want to leave it too long.

I guess I’ll defer to CB’s mead expertise, and recommend gravity readings. You should be able to notice a change fairly quickly, though – maybe take a reading three days after you mixed up your must. If you took a reading before you pitched your yeast, you’ll have something to compare it to; if not, just take one every other day.

I would not go to the grocery store and get bread yeast – bread yeast isn’t really good at making alcohol, and you’re likely to get some weird flavors from it. Use wine yeast (e.g., Rudesheimer) But if you don’t have fermentation, fresh yeast is the answer.

If the gravity hasn’t gone down at all a week after you pitched the yeast (I may be wrong on this – I’m not a frequent mead-maker – but I’m guessing that mead ferments at a noticeable rate), I’d suggest tossing in some more yeast. You shouldn’t have to hydrate it – just throw the dry yeast in and stir it up. In fact, if I were you, I’d order a dry packet of a wine yeast, just to have on hand in case something like this happens – I keep a couple packets in case my beers don’t start to ferment (although, I farm my own yeasts from previous batches, so the risk of yeast failure is a little more pronounced).

Or do what I do – leave it there and forget about it, and come back to it in two weeks, and check on it then. 95% of the time that I get nervous about something, everything works out fine without any intervention from me. The fact that human beings have been able to make alcohol for three thousand years tells me that it’s not nearly as complicated as we like to think it is.

I appreciate both commentors sage advice. I did talk with NB representative next morning, and when he realized I had not had nor used either yeast nutrient or yeast energizer, he suggested I order some and add it ASAP.

Two hours before the yeast nutrient and energizer arrived, my fermentation lock began to bubble! That was at 134 hrs out from starting point! I did go ahead and add both the nutrient and energizer, but did not add any additional yeast, as the only thing I had on hand was bread making yeast.

I’m thinking about adding a “mead cam”, much more action than the aging cheese cams now up and running!

Thanks again for your help! Zeamike

[quote=“zeamike”]I appreciate both commentors sage advice. I did talk with NB representative next morning, and when he realized I had not had nor used either yeast nutrient or yeast energizer, he suggested I order some and add it ASAP.

Two hours before the yeast nutrient and energizer arrived, my fermentation lock began to bubble! That was at 134 hrs out from starting point! I did go ahead and add both the nutrient and energizer, but did not add any additional yeast, as the only thing I had on hand was bread making yeast.

I’m thinking about adding a “mead cam”, much more action than the aging cheese cams now up and running!

Thanks again for your help! Zeamike[/quote]

Right on! Let us know how it turns out.

I highly recommend looking into staggered nutrient feedings for your future batches.

Newbie here, reading up on Mead making…

I read about “staggered nutrient feedings” and the like.

What are the “nutrients” used for these feedings?

Usually diammonium phosphate plus a nutrient blend such as Lallemand’s Fermaid-K or Wyeast’s Brewer’s Choice Nutrient Blend.

The nutrient blends will contain some DAP, but not enough to make up for how nutrient poor the honey must is.

Yep, I use Fermaid-K and DAP.

Excellent!
Now, what could one use in the absence of these products?

Say, you were living in a South American country where the availability of brewing products might be questionable?

Like, where I plan to retire… :smiley:

I think I’d use mail order. :wink:

Yeah, I really don’t want to depend on that there, as the mail can be rather sporadic…Or is that "spore"adic…

Was wondering if there were natural ingredients to use, instead of ordering pre measured doses and formulas and the like.

Speaking from experience, when you get used to brewing etc in the US then move overseas, it is a shock how different things are and how difficult it can be to locate supplies. Over the course of several years I managed to locate local sources for most of the items I need, but still not all. I have a few recommendations to make the process better:

• Make friends with someone who is a native speaker of the local language to do region-specific web searches for specific ingredients. That might lead you to a supplier of hobbiests.
  • Visit a local brewery or winery and ask them where they buy supplies. You might be able to get things in smaller sizes from them.
  • Find an asian grocery. You’d be surprised at how many items are carried by them that are useful for brewing.
  • Experiment with local ingredients. Definately a hit or miss proposition, but I’ve been surprised by how good some of my experiments have turned out, and it you can treat it as an opportunity that you would have never had in the US.

I’d have to agree with you that mail-order is NOT recommended, at least not in South America. You’ll pay a fortune in shipping costs and the package may never arive. But making mail order deliveries to friends when they are scheduled to come visit you or to bring back with you when you visit the US should be enough to get you by on things like nutrients or specific varieties of hops.

Good luck! ps, where are you moving to?

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]Speaking from experience, when you get used to brewing etc in the US then move overseas, it is a shock how different things are and how difficult it can be to locate supplies. Over the course of several years I managed to locate local sources for most of the items I need, but still not all. I have a few recommendations to make the process better:

• Make friends with someone who is a native speaker of the local language to do region-specific web searches for specific ingredients. That might lead you to a supplier of hobbiests.
  • Visit a local brewery or winery and ask them where they buy supplies. You might be able to get things in smaller sizes from them.
  • Find an asian grocery. You’d be surprised at how many items are carried by them that are useful for brewing.
  • Experiment with local ingredients. Definately a hit or miss proposition, but I’ve been surprised by how good some of my experiments have turned out, and it you can treat it as an opportunity that you would have never had in the US.

I’d have to agree with you that mail-order is NOT recommended, at least not in South America. You’ll pay a fortune in shipping costs and the package may never arive. But making mail order deliveries to friends when they are scheduled to come visit you or to bring back with you when you visit the US should be enough to get you by on things like nutrients or specific varieties of hops.

Good luck! ps, where are you moving to?[/quote]

Thanks for the tips!
Moving to Cotacachi, Ecuador.
And yes, I had already thought of the “pack mule” aspect of it when people come to visit, as we do the same thing when WE go to visit.
People will send stuff to our house, and I go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill and buy a suitcase for the stuff.
We normally travel with just a backpack…No lost luggage that way!

You’re headed to the nice part of Ecuador, the Sierra. I’ve been to Cotacachi, but only to shop for leather stuff. No idea how the town outside the central tourist market is.

If you look up Ecuador on the Homebrewer’s Association “find a brew club page” there is a listing in Quito. I’ll bet if you contact them they can steer you the suppliers. There is also a brewpub in Banos that is run by a couple of American Expats. Might be worth a drive to see them, and find out how they get stuff.

While you are there, you’ve got to check out chicha, the local pre-columbian homebrew made from chewed corn. It can be found served at restaurants that specialize in “typical” food, the word commonly used for traditional. It is served both fermented and unfermented, and you can guess which one is better. In fact, look it up on Wikopedia; maybe you can brew some then serve it to your visitors. :cheers:

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]You’re headed to the nice part of Ecuador, the Sierra. I’ve been to Cotacachi, but only to shop for leather stuff. No idea how the town outside the central tourist market is.

If you look up Ecuador on the Homebrewer’s Association “find a brew club page” there is a listing in Quito. I’ll bet if you contact them they can steer you the suppliers. There is also a brewpub in Banos that is run by a couple of American Expats. Might be worth a drive to see them, and find out how they get stuff.

While you are there, you’ve got to check out chicha, the local pre-columbian homebrew made from chewed corn. It can be found served at restaurants that specialize in “typical” food, the word commonly used for traditional. It is served both fermented and unfermented, and you can guess which one is better. In fact, look it up on Wikopedia; maybe you can brew some then serve it to your visitors. :cheers: [/quote]

Thanks for the info, Brother!
Did some “Googling” and found out there are 4 or 5 “microbreweries” in Quito alone!
The house I bought is about 6 blocks North of the “tourist” market area where you were shopping.

I’ll scope the Homebrewers Assoc. resources and see what I can find…We don’t plan on getting a vehicle there, at least not in the immediate future, as the travel by bus is so cheap!

I plan on exploring a bit of distillation there as well, as my local market is overflowing with inexpensive fruits and grains!

Chicha, Eh?..I’ll have to get the whole damn neighborhood chewing for me one weekend!

Good read on the Chicha there, in Wikipedia…Thanks!