Next step - partial mash & all-grain?

Hello, I have brewed some extract kits and am pleased with the results, although I’m not a conesuier by any means. I am interested in the next phase, partial mash or even all-grain. Question: what is the big advantage of mashing, lautering and sparging the grains over just purchasing the extract? Do you get better flavor? better colors? more fermentables? as compared to an extract? I believe I would really enjoy the added involvement of working the grains, but boy, it looks like alot of extra time and equipment if the flavor and fermentables aren’t all that extra. Can someone please give me a great reason to take that next step? Would appreciate your thoughts. Have a great day and a great beer. Thanks

I’m an extract brewer as it stands right now, but I’ve done AG with friends plenty of times. The greatest advantage is control over the recipe. With extracts they are predetermined amounts of wheat/2-row that you cannot change. The really cool thing about partial mashing is that you can get a feel for all grain without the equipment investment. It also allows you a measure of control over your recipe; so you can cut out half of the extract and substitute a grain bill. Your biggest problem at that level, though, is going to be efficiency. Without a mash/lauter tun your efficiency will run around 55% which can be very aggravating when you’re dropping cash for the grains. I highly advise this step, though, before taking the plunge.

There is no “step” in brewing. Some people never do an extract brew and start with all-grain.

You do need to boil 6-7 gallons of liquid. So if you don’t have a pot and burner that can handle those volumes you need to get one. Then you need a way to chill the wort. Though some people were water is scarce/expensive (Australia) put a lid on the pot and let it cool overnight.

As a mid step from where you are at, you can do a “brew in a bag” (BIAB). When you have a large enough pot. People are reporting efficiency’s in the 70’s. I’m not sure why with a partial mash you would only be in the 50’s?

On your 1st AG brew day, plan out 10 hours of time. After you get the swing of things, time management should get you down to 5-6hrs.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

I started with kits and brewed a heck of a lot of them, focusing on fermentation and temps; maybe two+ years ago I started doing partial mash and started to make some recipes.

I still do mostly partial mash brews, using a 5 gallon round igloo for mashing around 7-8 pounds of grain; I benefited from using Beersmith2 and recommend it.

I’m currently stuck with extract brewing. The wife and kid, cycling, a band, and a job take up most of my time. I consider myself very lucky to still be brewing.

With the availability of fresh LME/DME today from many of the suppliers, and tweeks like steeping grains, extract brews are many times just as good as their AG counter parts.

There is nothing wrong with extract brewing when time is a factor.

With the availability of fresh LME/DME today from many of the suppliers, and tweeks like steeping grains, extract brews are many times just as good as their AG counter parts.

There is nothing wrong with extract brewing when time is a factor.[/quote]

I’ve actually won a few awards with my extract brews. More than a few times, a fellow homebrew member has commented that my beer tastes great and it was about time I went AG.

If I had it my way, I’d do all grain and ride my bike all day. I’d need to win the lottery first. Even before that, I’d have to actually get a lottery ticket. :cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions, advice and info. Will try the partial mash since I don’t need to much more equipment and see how it goes. Guess i need to do some research on “efficiency”. Where does that term come into play??? Anybody got a explaination for “efficiency”? Never known it in my life :wink: Thanks again, have a great day and great beer!

[quote=“Nighthawk”]There is no “step” in brewing. Some people never do an extract brew and start with all-grain.

You do need to boil 6-7 gallons of liquid. So if you don’t have a pot and burner that can handle those volumes you need to get one. Then you need a way to chill the wort. Though some people were water is scarce/expensive (Australia) put a lid on the pot and let it cool overnight.

As a mid step from where you are at
, you can do a “brew in a bag” (BIAB). When you have a large enough pot. People are reporting efficiency’s in the 70’s. I’m not sure why with a partial mash you would only be in the 50’s?

On your 1st AG brew day, plan out 10 hours of time. After you get the swing of things, time management should get you down to 5-6hrs.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html[/quote]

These seem to contradict each other…

I did one partial mash and then realized my thermometer I got from NB had somehow gotten to be 32 degrees off. I should have noticed when it said it was 40 degrees when it was just sitting there, but I didn’t notice until I was done cooking. I thought I probably ruined the beer but it turned out to be pretty good.