Newbie Brewer saying hello

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to brewing, and new here. I live in Columbus, Ohio and am brewing my second batch right now. My first batch was a hodgepodge of ingredients from different vendors. I didn’t even really know what I had. I didn’t tak gravity readings, pitched the yeast at 90 degrees, bottled at tent days, and basically made every other mistake known to man. The beer was ok, not good. This time around I am brewing Caribou slobber. Pitched rehydrated yeast at 68 or so. Left in primary for 3 weeks. OG was 1.052, final was 1.012. Now I am just waiting for it to bottle condition, though I admit I drank one last night (5 days in the bottle) and it was pretty good! Anyway, looking forward being on here and brewing more beer. Thanks!

Welcome! Sounds like you are improving fast. This is a good place to pick up tips on how to further improve your brews, or ideas on new things to brew. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, everyone here is happy to share their experiences.

Glad you showed up ,a lot of good people here. Good place to hang out

I don’t know… I heard your beer taste like dirty sock water! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah that’s pretty accurate…

I hope you recognize my avatar!!! I certainly recognize yours!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info here. Enjoy your new obsession!

Lol yeah I recognize it. How could I forget after the mocking I got about not knowing last time! That and the dirty socks comment

Welcome to the forum man!

Thanks everyone! I am excited to be brewing. Though I need to build my patience. I keep hearing this beer gets better the longer it sits in the bottle, but I don’t know if I can wait until Jan to start drinking it!

Best way to do that is to borrow a carbon from your favorite cus and brew another batch! Seriously though if you brew another batch and have something to take your mind off the carbing/aging batch you’ll be more patient. It also helps because you’ll have beer ready in the pipeline to drink.

1 Like

Hmmm, that may be the ticket! I have thinking about picking up a plinian legacy kit. Maybe I’ll do that sooner rather than later. Though I think with the dry hopping on that one I’m going to use a bucket for primary at least.

Welcome aboard! Theres always room and hopefully more cheers than one person should enjoy! Sneezles61

Ah Ohio. What a great beer state. I have a cousin in Columbus who is coming down for Christmas. Hopefully bringing something from Rockmill, Rivertown, and great lakes. Wish we could get that stuff down here!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great characters here!

Ron

1 Like

Welcome! Yeah, Ohio has come a long way since 1991, the last time I lived there. Rivertown does make it to Florida but unfortunately not Great Lakes. I had never heard of Rockmill (which is about 40 minutes from where I was hatched) until recently and plan to visit their brewery complex which looks awesome with a focus on Belgian styles.

Rock mill does some really tasty stuff, but it is very pricey. Their 12 oz bottles go for the price of a six pack, and their bombers go upwards of $30. It’s really good, but to me you can get as good and better Belgians for less.