Newbie Brewer & Airlock Bubbles

Hi all!!

I just purchased my first brewing kit (5 gallon paired with the Block Party Amber Ale and Testing Kit) which was a ton of fun to make but I just have a few quick questions.

When I was ready to install the airlock (The kit gave me This One`), the directions instructed me to fill the airlock with the sanitizing (powder packet) water to about the max level (which I did and installed). I just want to make sure I read that correctly and was supposed to use that.

My second question is that its been about 24 hours and I’m getting a consistent flow of air bubbles (2-3 every couple of seconds) through the airlock and I just want to make sure that the lid or like airlock won’t pop upwards or explode because of the C02 buildup over time. What should I be on the look out for regarding the airlock over the next two weeks? Do I need to take the airlock off for a second to release the C02?

Thanks all!!

Steve

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

Sounds like your fermentation is chugging along and your airlock is doing it’s job as designed. There are several options for airlocks or blowoffs if you poke around the web. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t go dry. You can use vodka if you don’t have any more sanitizer.

2 Likes

First, welcome to the forum!

As @WMNoob dad everything seems like it’s going as designed/planned. Airlocks are designed to allow CO2 out while keeping O2 out.

Your fermentation will hit a peak, as it sounds like your has! As long as there is a vent the lid won’t pop off.

Now that you have fermentation KEEP AS MUCH O2 INGRESS AS LOW AS POSSIBLE.

2 Likes

So I guess @surferstevers we need to know what you know. You’re making beer for sure so let’s think about your next steps.

2 Likes

Looks like you brew is busy with fermenting. The airlock its doing its thing. Releasing co2. Now after about 8 days. When airlock activity slows down. Take a gravity reading. You can check if the krausen droped. Basicly. You are ready for the next step

2 Likes

All good advice but try to keep your fermenter below 70° if you don’t have much head space and a warm fermenation you may need a blowoff tube. You actually could pop the lid but more likely blow out the airlock. Welcome

4 Likes

Thanks everybody!! This is all really good advice!!

@WMNoob My plan was to:

1. Keep an eye on the airlock and add vodka/sanitizing water if needed and then take a gravity test like @wilcolandzaat suggested!

2. Wait another 6 days (the directions said 14 days) then if all looks well, possible start bottling??

I’m not sure if I missed anything though

Thank you all again, this is really good advice!!

1 Like

Sounds good! It’s tough to be patient but your beer and your experience will benefit from it. Don’t rush and remember- RDWAHAB! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Indeed take your time. Let your beer. Rest. Condition. So it cleans bit up more. Take few days later a other gravity check. If your beer stays at the. Constant fg. You can bottle. You might want to ask. Around. More about botteling. And using priming. Sugar. And use the priming sugar calculator. Brew smith. Or brewers friend. You can use to calculate. I can not help you. I do keg and do use co2. To carbonate my beer. You can use co2. As well for botteling. But than you have to get. A. Bottle filler. Dive. What. Controls the co2. And beer flow. I have one of these. But i did think it was a pain to use it. Any way. Good luck and have fun

1 Like

Most suggestions are covered already but a few things came to my mind from my first brews. Fermentation temps are your biggest concern, keep under 70 but ideally I like them in the 62-65 range (look up “swamp coolers” if need be). I’ve had 2 lids blow off of buckets (even with airlocks on) due to warmer temps and very vigorous fermentation. Taking gravity readings is a great idea but I would normally just let a beer sit in Primary for 3-4 weeks and then package. Be patient and order your next kit awhile. Get the pipeline flowing!

Welcome to the Forum, tons of knowledge and great bunch on here!

2 Likes