New to sour brewing

Ok so I am planning to attempt my first sour brew and I would like some feed back on my plan. I am going to start off with a basic brown ale nothing fancy and I will ferment it will something clean like a wyeast 1056 or one of the Chico yeasts. I then plan to secondary it on 2 cans of sweet cherry puree and pitch the roselare blend on it and let I’d sit for like a year taking samples every few months along the way. Any thoughts and any thing I should do differently or tips form folks who have done something like this before? Thanks for any advice. Cheers!

Sounds like a plan AND I would recommend just doing the Roselaireblend. It’s not that sour. You will be disappointed and it will be a waste (IMO) if you pitch a clean yeast first.

I do a lot of sours and fruit with the the sugars fermented out are often sour enough w/o a special yeast. However they are one dimensional.

Go with Tart cherries if you can. Sweet end up too cinnamony and lack that crisp bite.

1 Like

I agree with skipping the clean yeast. The blend works really well on it’s own. I have 6 or so bottles of a Flanders red I made a few years back its it gets better every time I drink one. I would sample very little in the first year as well since I thought about dumping it half way through. Time and patience are key

1 Like

If anyone is on the fence about the newish yeast Philly Sour is amazing! It creates a really nice crisp sour with no funk. Personally I like a little funk but if you are new to brewing you don’t have to worry about biofilm nearly as much as you do with Brett.