New to brewing and need some help!

I’m just now getting into the idea of brewing and would love some ideas on what kind of equipment that is worth buying, but wont break the bank.

What is necessary and what can I omit until I become a more avid brewer? Thanks in advance for any help!

it’s all here in the basic kit

I bought everything here within 1 month of buying just a fermenter. So no point waiting. Maybe you could do without the spoon. This kit also comes with ingredients for your first batch.

4 Likes

Great suggestion @squeegeethree ! We got our start with an NB kit as well. Still using most of the stuff that came with it (and added a bunch more) almost a hundred batches in. Additional equipment to consider are: hydrometer and test jar and a way to cool your wort. As you brew more batches you’ll develop your methods and techniques which will guide you toward equipment purchases. Think about where you want to go with this, read, ask questions, and experiment. Welcome to the hobby!

You used to be able to add “How to Brew” on to the starter kit. It is nearly an essential. I will most likely repurchase when the new and improved edition comes out. Anyone know when that is?

1 Like

I see that kit has the spring-tip bottle filler. That’s key. The gravity tip one always dribbles.

The 5-gallon pot can make 5-gallon extract batches by doing a “partial boil” the instructions for this are in the kit, and is the easiest way to get started.

The only thing missing is empty bottles. A 5-gallon batch makes a bit more than 2 cases, so have 2 cases and a 6-pack of empties ready. You can (should) reuse commercial beer bottles. But it’s very important to note: you CAN NOT use twist-off bottles. They must be pry-off, so you have to get non-shitty beer for reuse. About 90% of the beer labels will simply fall off if you soak them in a sink/bucket with some standard oxyclean.

A few things to consider adding to the order: PBW, “Powdered Brewery Wash” for cleaning your stuff, and Star-San, no rinse sanitizer. The starter kit only comes with enough cleaner/sanitizer for 1 batch. Also get a second recipe kit. The two offerered are good, but not my personal favorites;

You should check for a local home brew supply shop in your area, the people who run them are almost universally very helpful. This forum is also very welcoming to new brewers. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, the people here all seem to remember what it was like starting out; admins manage to keep the place troll-free

Once you have a couple batches under your belt there are a hundred different ways you can go with the hobby.

I’ve gone on wayyyy to long, but the final bit of advice. Don’t be afraid failure, like any new cooking experience, it takes a couple tries before you get good. Your first batch won’t be a 5-star, but 2-3 batches in and you’ll be better than bud for sure.

3 Likes

Looks like a good kit but you will need a burner unless you are going to only brew small stove top beer. Just my suggestion but you could get a bigger pot with a burner like a turkey fryer. And then buy that stuff individualy or get a kit without a pot 8 gallon minimum 10 would be better. 5 gallon pot is to small.

3 Likes

I would buy a 10 gallon pot… Propane burner… Hydrometer and test jar. A chiller of some sort. Auto racking gizmo and tubing… That would be the 1/2" variety. One of those 6 gallon big mouth fermenters with a spigot. Your first kit, look for our host Northern Brewer when they have a buy 2 get one free, or something to that effect.
All that I point out above you can grow into… I started smaller, trying not to break the bank… Well, its still sitting around not being used. Was that good money management? If you lived up by Lake Superior, I’d have stuff for you!
Now start buying 6 packs of good bottled brews… Keep track of how much they cost, and get used to cleaning and keeping them clean…
Welcome to the NB forum and the wonderful world of homebrewing! You ask away… Thats how we did it too! Read up… Sneezles61

3 Likes

LIke others have said, I wouldn’t waste my time with a 5 gallon kettle. I started with an 8 gallon and that worked fine for 5 gallon full volume boils. A couple buckets and airlocks(3 piece), a hydrometer for sure.

1 Like

The beautiful thing about the turkey fryer is when you’re brewing out grows it you can still fry turkey and pork roasts

2 Likes

+1 to StarSan. I gave my brother the starter kit and I gave him a big bottle of Starsan with it.

The next Christmas I got him the Edelmetall Brü Burner because that’s how good a brother I am. So +1 to that as well or as @brew_cat says the much less expensive turkey fryer . ( I have a diesel stove so no need)

This Christmas I would get him an 8 gallon pot but my sisterinlaw announced that they do not want anymore stuff in their lives. Gosh… jeez… how un-American.

If the OP is still around (that’s you @Aivon.A) I would wait until black friday weekend because brew kits are like the #19 holiday idea you can give your loved one and our host Northern Brewer is bound to have some excellent offers.

2 Likes

Well just have him donate the 5 to Goodwill and get him the bigger pot so he wouldn’t actually be adding anything in

2 Likes

Nice way to start. Brewing the nb brew kit. Me as well still use some of the things that came with the kit.

Indeed get a nice. Burner. Me started out with a. Small one did not do btu research. Boy that was a mistake. After 2 sessions. Up grade to a real nice one.

The more stuff the beter. Long live the western culture. My wife did ask me what i want for x mas. O wait she said. More brew things. Or. More new metal music. Think about getting. A second transfer pump.

1 Like

A transfer pump coupled along with Charvel 6 string and an Orange amp? :smirk: Sneezles61

4 Likes

Weird looking a orange amp. But awesome sound

2 Likes