New propane burners

So my little DIY brew cart has two of the small bayou classic high pressure propane burners in it. The main one I use for heating strike and boiling wort is throwing very yellow flames. The bottom of the kettle gets black soot on it the last few times I used it and it just doesn’t seem to be getting as hot as it used to. Both burners appear to be pretty rusted up so I’m thinking that’s the issue?

Of course I could just get the same burner cheaply and easily replace it but I’m also considering the bigger 10" banjo burners to replace them for better heat distribution. Thing is that will require a bit of modification to the cart for hanging to bigger burner. Can anyone tell me if you think it will be worth the extra effort? Am I going to like the bigger burner enough to deal with figuring out how to install it when the small one would be a simple swap?

Sounds to me like it isn’t getting enough airflow, and running rich. Usually those high pressure burners have a removable center piece that I like to refer to as the peanut butter cup: You could definitely have corrosion building up that is impeding airflow, so pop those center pieces out and take a look inside.

Personally, I’d spring for the larger size burners. They’re a bit more efficient, and not near as loud. However, I couldn’t tell you if it is worth the effort to modify the stand.

1 Like

Sounds like an issue I get from my gas grill… I don’t know if it’s because of warm humid weather… OR… Using it when it’s cold out…
There gets to be a whole bunch of sooty stuff collecting in the casting… Wear some clothes and gloves you can throw away… I took my “banjo” out and de-tatched everything… I used a tip cleaner… Like the one you’d use to clean oxy-acyteline torch tips… Then compressor with a small end to blow all that crap out… Took a couple days to get my skin clean…
Adjusting the “peanut butter cup” gizmo is also another problem area… Cob webs… Damn mices hiding stuff in there?
Sneezles61

1 Like

It’s so rusted I’m not sure I can get it out!

From the other side, not that I’m encouraging you to spend money rather than clean it out, but I will say that I started on a turkey fryer burner with a tiny little burner that my Uncle gave me. It was 55,000 BTU. When I swapped to my Blichman burner at 140,000 BTU, I went from 3 brews per tank of propane to 4+ with the new burner. I did get the LNG kit for it, but haven’t run the plumbing yet. The old one looked like this:

:beers:
Rad

Voltron’s right, those cast burners rust up and you don’t get a clean flame. Not sure about yours but mine have a bolt through the center. Spray it with penetrating oil and let it sit, then take it apart and hit it with a wire wheel. I have to clean mine once a year. Besides a cooler flame you aren’t getting complete combustion, more CO.
A bigger burner would be nice though.

1 Like

I have a burner out in my garage collecting dust. It’s just the ring but has the brass jets and a stainless windshield. I can get the dimension and take a photo if you are interested @dannyboy58 I used it on the first brew stand I had that I made.

1 Like

I already ordered a couple of the 10" banjo burners. Roughy $30 each so no big deal. Not interested in investing more in this system for now. Definitely going electric when we finally pull the trigger and move to our “retirement” house.

2 Likes

Once you go electric, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it a long time ago…
Sneezles61

Think just clean them. Take a small needle. Clean the little holes on the burner.

Nope. When I tried taking the disc out the screw broke because it was rusted in place. These burners are a mess. Got new ones so I just need to restructure the support for them on my cart.

And a little no-seize on the threads…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Installed the new banjo burner for my BK/MT in the brew cart this morning. As soon as it stops raining I’ll brew the pilsner I was supposed to brew this past wednesday to test it out. Then decide if I’ll replace the burner on the HLT side.

3 Likes

Shame your brewstand has seen so little use. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

Right? At least I’ve kept it clean though…hahaha

First use of the banjo burner today. I didn’t time it but seemed like it got to my 156 strike temp a little faster today. Very very quiet compared to the old burner. I have the high pressure regulator with the adjustment knob on it.

This burner was rated for high pressure but I’ve had a couple weird unsettling little episodes just in this session so far.

When I turned the adjustment know way down I got a loud pop from the burner then when I relit it I got another loud pop and flash and the burner was VERY loud. I shut it off, open and shut the line a time or two and relit it and it was fine but it did the same thing later on.

I’m guessing there’s a mismatch here between the gas flow and what the burner can handle…maybe a new regulator is in order… any ideas?

The castings are very rough inside… Causes gas to not flow smoothly together… Speed bumps? Little Eddy’s in the stream of gas? kinda thing…
I found if I tried to light it, with too much “gas on”, then I had some issues… I seemed to have good results… Blasting it, pre-lighting… then taper way back to barely on, then light it… Always opposite side of the banjo where the gas goes in…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Seems like a reasonable explanation. I suppose there’s less issue with more expensive burners because the quality of material and workmanship is better…like ported and flowed burner heads…haha

1 Like

I use a propane torch to light my burners. It doesn’t blow out as easily as the long lighters and keeps my hands farther away from the burner. The torch heads with a built in striker work nicely and aren’t expensive. The old fashion scratchy ones were a PIA.

It might go smoother by leaving the gas off, lighting the lighter near the burner then slowly turning on the gas. My BBQ pops sometimes when turning it off so it might be a common thing.

Ported and polished burners. Taking brewing up to the racing level. Maybe we can get Edelbrock in on this.

1 Like

remember the “jet burners”? all those ports threaded on… that was a very cool looking burner… unfortunately, I couldn’t afford one…
One the high pressure, the gas stream inside the burner is headed to the far side very quickly… Either way, I liked the long tipped lighter… get my unprotected skin away from the danger zone… Will Robinson!
Sneezles61