New mini keg

Just received a new Baco eng mini keg. I opted for the largest size 5L which is about a 12 pack. The larger keg comes with a forward sealing tap with a flow control knob. The size is nice and compact and fits easily in my RV fridge. Wonder if i can fill under pressure. I’ll play with it. Certainly can make a one gallon batch and bottle condition it. Pictures to follow

1 Like

Sounds pretty sweet. I’ll need to look it up.

I just Googled that and it looks sweet. Let us know how it goes transferring into it under pressure.

My growler filling tube fits snug on the tap so filling should be a snap. The tap also is spring loaded. Nice quality

Gonna be sweet

5 Likes

It uses the screw in 16g co2 cartridges I’ll get from the bicycle shop

I was thinking BB gun CO2 cartridges but they are not threaded.

No these are threaded. I had a mine co2 charger that used standard cartridges but the holder broke. I think these will be easier. We’ll see

Need to figure out a way to refill the little cartridges from a big tank. The cartridges have to be expensive. Kind of like those adapters to refill the small propane bottles from a 20lb tank.

About $3-$4 but they last a long time if the beer is carbonated. Just pushing it out. My old mini would easily push a full size keg. With the smaller head space in the mini keg ill bet at least 5 fills so less than a buck/ 12 pack. Well worth it

Awesome. I recently got a 2.5 gallon keg that I was able to just barely fit into my keezer. Have to change out the manifold but excited about it. My plan is to brew smaller batches for what no one other than me wants to drink or keg half and bottle the other half for when I want to take some with me. Gives you options.

Well problem pushing through the tap because it has a back flow preventer. So i just filled it growler style. The connection for the mini regulator allows me to thread on a swivel nut so i purged with my tank. Actually could carbonate it along with my other tanks just need to make an extra gallon. Serves nice no foam

My wife bought me one of these for Father’s Day. Haven’t gotten around to using it. I need to source some threaded CO2 cartridges as well. I found them from a competitor in Michigan for fair price.

I got them from a bike shop. They had 16grams and 20grams i got both to see

Well i learned something and I’ll pass it on. When using the screw in cartridges you have to screw them in really fast or you loose alot of the gas.

3 Likes

That’s good to know! Be ready rather than lose half the cartridge.

Well im at the Cape in my camper with the mini keg. Been here a few days and its awesome having my kegged home brew. There is learning curve. I put beer in the mini a couple weeks ago from a full keg and attached the co2 cartridge up and set it at 10psi. The beer was still carbonated 2 weeks later but the cartridge was empty. So next time if im leaving it for more than a day or so I’ll hook it to my main tank otherwise ill fill it the day of or day before. Now once its in the RV fridge i turn it up until it reads 10psi and immediately turn it off. After i serve a glass i top up the pressure to 10psi again and turn it off. Its working nicely. Also make sure everything is tight :grimacing:

How come this just showed up? Damn… that is cool…
Maybe the forum knows I chatter a bit too much and is trying to keep you from being chattered upon? :no_mouth:
Sneezles61

This looks nice

Well ive used my mini a few times and learned some tricks to pass on. First i screw off the regulator and screw off my gas disconnect and screw it on the mini and purge it. Then then i screw my fill hose on and connect the other end to my keg then simply push the beer through the gas port since i wasn’t able to push through the tap without taking out the backflow preventer. You have to release pressure from the keg so you don’t get foaming. I released the gas into the mini for the purge the last time. This time i didn’t open the mini yo rinse just pushed more beer in. I set it on a scale while filling so i can track how much im putting in.

1 Like